The Seven: 2018-19 Birthday Bucket List

Tuesday I promised to share this year's birthday list today. I don't feel ready. I have had the general ideas for this year's challenge since April. Normally the number of challenges matches my number of years or the upcoming years. This year I wanted something a bit smaller especially with the 40 Before 40 still on the go.

So I've had ideas for the seven goals just lacking the actual titles, the actual explanations, or the pretty new graphic for this year's challenge. I wanted something is watercolours and handwritten "The Seven." I've made a few attempts but nothing matched the picture in my head. All that makes me want to postpone sharing the bucket list. However, I realize if I miss this self-made deadline I don't think I'll share the list till October, so here goes:

1. Explore Canada
I was in Nova Scotia recently and with the help of wonderful friends made sure to dip my feet in the Atlantic. Now to see the Pacific. There are adventures planned and I am excited. I am going to see things I have never seen before. Stay tuned there will be pictures.

2. Read Comics
More specifically, read the comics I own. I'm about two years behind on my collection. Last summer while in Nova Scotia, I picked up a year's worth of comics, mostly DC Rebirth titles. Beginning has been a daunting task. Maybe not, it is two short boxes worth of comics. Still I haven't started and I am still collecting two titles. With that in mind, from today on I am not buying any new trade paper backs or starting any new series until I've caught up. 

3. Be Creative
There are a few different things this could mean: making cards, knitting, painting, all of the creatives. It could also be trying new hobbies, new skills, taking classes, exploring interests. I know I am in a good place when I am making and wanting to make. As I start to do one type of creative thing it spurs me on to do more. I have no specific tangible marker on what success will look like. Between the new watercolour painting and the finished socks this is already a successful year. The truth is just that more making is more better.

4. Enjoy Life
I want to do more things that make me smile more or lead to me smiling more. The trip last week to Nova Scotia is a great example of the smiles. Watching over the top Korean dramas, different authors, and writing make me smile. I've also discovered workout sessions, while in and of themselves do not make me smile, I am more happy after. So enjoying life through smiles is the goal. And hand in hand accomplishing 4 of the 40 Before 40 goals will be a sure thing to make me smile.

5. Write More
This could a sub-point under "Be Creative." Instead it gets its own place to shine. I think better when I journal, blog, and write stories. I find it strangely enjoyable and frustrating all at once. It is a hobby I have neglected because I don't ever think I'll be published. Yesterday I was listening to the Wednesday Club with their special guest Patrick Rothfuss. Rothfuss made this great case for writing being the only hobby that people belittle you if you don't become of professional. It was inspiring and beautiful. I wish I knew how to insert it here...but I don't. Know that it was enough to encourage me to write fiction again and forget about selling my manuscript. This year I hope to write something once a week on the blog, journal regularly, and work on some piece of fiction.

6. Play Games
After Toronto Game Con (aka Break Out Con) I decided to decrease my game collection by ten percent. I made an excel document of all my games. Not including expansions there is 101 games. Over this next year I plan to play everything at least once, rate it, and remove the bottom scoring games. There are a lot of games that still need to be played. Thankfully I've found a games group and there is game con next year.

7. Search for Unicorns
Have you heard my thoughts on "unicorns" other than they don't exist? Well, this year I am actually going to try and find one. This has also be referred to as Operation Boaz amount some of my Christian friends.

Comments

Amai said…
I'm sure it wont' be in the bottom, but if for some reason you decided to get rid of to court the king, let me know, and I'd buy it off you. :)

- A
Elizabeth said…
I will keep it in mind. I will also keep a look out for it at game con next year. They have this event called bring and buy. It's a great place to find out of print games or harder to find games.