July-First Quarter 40 Before 40 Update

It's been three months since my birthday; the first quarter done feels like the right time to review the progress on the 40 Before 40. Last month I reset the 40 Before 40. I had started the 40 Before 40 in 2017 to give myself more time to finish before my 40th birthday. Only in that time some of my interests and focused had changed. Most of the goals are the same, a few were reworded, and some were switched out for new challenges. Even with some new or revised challenges, if one of the original challenges was completed since 2017 I am still counting the victory.

I've included a pie chart below to give a visual breakdown of my progress. This is the challenge legend I am using to track my progress:

Challenge Legend:
Black =have not started
Green =just started or have a plan
Blue =in progress and success is possible
Purple =VICTORY!

01) Get Married
Success! July 10th, just two weeks and two days ago, Alex and I said "I do" and life will never be the same again (in a good way). I'm enjoying our new normal.


02) Read the whole Bible...again.
I'm working through a reading plan. I'm currently on day 150. Full confession I'm 58 days behind and should actually be on day 208. I had started another devotional and the reading plan took a back seat. I am missing it.

03) Earn 300 Crowns in Spanish Duolingo
I've been working away at the Spanish bit by bit. My crown total is 152. I have a long ways to go to make this challenge. I think my biggest struggle is I spend more of my time reviewing completed lessons or doing the new stories than trying new units. And it is completing units that gives me crowns.

04) Make a life time bucket list.
I did it you can read it here.

05) Have a get out of debt plan...and use it
The plan has been started.

06) Write about Grace.
I did a bit of writing on the topic. It's not much but it is a start. I am thinking about writing about grace for a non-fiction NaNoWriMo in November.

07) Break a bad habit.
I'm focusing on breaking my bad habit of nail biting. So far so good. Since my birthday (three months ago) till last week I hadn't bitten my nails at all. Last week my nails were in rough shape from the fake nails/glue I used for my wedding. I should have put a top coat on right away. Instead I left them and as they split I found myself nibbling twice. But as soon as I noticed the behaviour I stopped. I see much improvement.

08) Complete the 10 x 10 Game Challenge
The 10 x 10 is to play ten different games ten times each. Alex and I are focused for now on the first five and a mini goal of a 5 x 5. So far we've played four games with a total of 12 plays.

09) Hug Micky Mouse.
We have plans to visit Disney next year...depending on where the world health situation is. If the borders are still closed when our trip is scheduled I will be swapping this challenge for the bonus challenge below.

10) Meet a Geek Hero.
This happened last year at Comic Con. The actress was the elegant and delightful Gina Torres. It was an unexpected encounter. I don't think I ever blogged about it. If you want to hear the story leave a comment.

11) See more of Canada.
In the past three years I have had the opportunity to visit BC, Manitoba, Quebec, New Brunswick, and Nova Scotia and visited my first territory, Yukon. I would still like to see more but for this challenge I count this a win!

12) Explore Ottawa.
When I set this goal in 2017 there were are few things I wanted to do:
1) Skate on the Rideau Canal -CHECK -Alex and I did this January, well we walked it because the ice was too slushy but it counts.
 2) Tour the Parliament buildings -CHECK -Friends and I went just before they shut down the buildings for renovations. Good thing we went when we did. The center building will be closed to the public for ten years.
3) Visit the National Gallery -CHECK -Alex and I went last year around this time

The only "Ottawa" event that hasn't happened was watch the Canada Day fireworks on the Hill but that couldn't happen this year.

13) Attend a Festival.
Triple success, Alex and I went to a Japanese cultural festival last year, the Winterlude festival this February, and the Tulip Festival in the spring.

14) Achieve four cosplay dreams.
I'm working on a list, that should be posted before August with a list of my cosplay aspersions.

15) Try a capsule wardrobe for a season.
I'm thinking about doing a fall/winter capsule wardrobe. I've watched a video or two about starting a capsule wardrobe and have a pinterest board for inspiration.

16) Try something new.
The something new that earn the victory was Pho. Only the more I think about it I've tried so many new things in the last three years I don't think I could list them all.

17) Take a class/course.
Last fall I did a shield maiden course that taught sword fighting. In the effort to be a continual learn I have also signed up for Skill Share and done a few courses.

18) (Attempt to) Publish a story.
Not yet.

19) Bake something new.
Alex and I have made bread bread, herb bread, cheese bread, and cinnamon loaf.

20) Do something extreme.
Not sure what I'll do, but I need to wait for things to open again.

21) Cook the family a Thanksgiving feast from scratch.
We've actually started talking about the dishes we'd like to serve.

22) Memorize 40 new verses.
Since 2017 I've memorized 45 new verses. I've been using the Bible Verse app to keep practicing. I thought it had been awhile since I did memory work. I just opened the app and have verses 118 days over due.

23) Read 40 Books.
I've finished five so far. I need to pick up the reading pace.

24) Read a book on Theology.
I have a list of books...not actually started any yet.

25) Reread the Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings.
I am working through the Chronicles of Narnia. I am going to read The Hobbit next.

26) Reread Narnia and more C.S. Lewis.
The five books I have read for the above challenge are from the Chronicles of Narnia.

27) Give the blog a make over.
I gave the blog a makeover around January. It was both an aesthetic and template change. I am not sure I like the new template. The navigation I find a bit frustrating; I don't like that you can't easily go from a single post to another post. Maybe it is time for another change?

28) Finish a project.
I have a project in mind. I made dice bags for my D&D group about three years ago. I wanted to add a cloth lining and draw string. I bought the materials, set it aside to do after Christmas...and never picked the project again. That is till this year. I am going to finish them before Christmas this year.

29) Knit a sweater.
I haven't even looked at patterns.

30) Establish a Morning Routine.
Alex and I have got the start of a routine that works for us. On our best mornings we're waking at six for an early morning walk, regular preparation, and breakfast. On our not great days we sleep in and skip the walk. There are a few things I am wanting to add to our habits: morning prayer, Scripture reading, stretching, and possibly a short weight routine.

31) Establish a Night Routine.
This routine has been a bit harder to establish because we're not able to consistently begin the routine at the same time. We have been ending our day with an extra long walk which includes time to talk about the next day's to do list and the spiritual practice of examen. We also are reading a book together and doing a devotional before preparing for bed.

32) Practice Contemplative Spirituality.
I feel like this is the type of goal that is ways  on going.

33) Keep a Food Journal for 30 Days.
I've been using Avatar Nutrition since January to track my food and monitor my health progress.

34) 30 Days of Journaling.
I did this earlier this year but feel I need to try it again.

35) 30 Days of No Sugar.
Alex and I did this last year.

36) 30 Days of Art.
Not yet

37) 30 Days of Hair.
This was completed in June.

38) 30 Days of Makeup.
This was a successful completed in April.

39) 100 Days of Dance.
Alex and I have been taking dance lessons on Sunday. With a few practice days in the mix I've got my first nine days of dance.

40) Do Something with the Canvas!
Still no plans

New BONUS GOAL: Virtually Hike the Cameo
I've been dreaming and wanting to walk the Camino de Santiago since I heard a pastor on CBC's Tapestries share his experience. That was just over eight years ago. When I first started thinking about going I had hoped to attempt the 773 km (480 miles) this year. I even put it as a goal on the original 40 Before 40. It was removed because a number of factors from financial to the state of the world means that dream is not possible at this time.

I removed the goal. However I recently discovered a virtual option that might just be the next best thing? I've signed up for to try the journey as a virtual walk through the Conqueror Challenge. We (Alex Mayer is walking with me) "set forth" today from Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port. Only 767.1 km to go...

Progress Thoughts:
I'm feeling optimistic. The progress chart is hopeful. There is a good chance this will the most completed Birthday Bucket List yet. It helps that most of the victories are because I've been working on these challenges since 2017. In preparing this I looked over the original 40 Before 40. Of the challenges that were cut, four were also victories, that was also encouraging. 
The next challenge review will be at the half way mark on October 26.

Comments