Sister+Friends Movie Review: Spiderman: Into the Spiderverse

The Miles Morales' Spiderman has been out for over a month but it's not too late for the movie review. So here goes....

Not everyone participating in today's review saw the movie together. Sister and I saw Into The Spiderverse  in 3D, with two of her friends the weekend it came out. Brendan saw it a week or so later not sure which format. And Susi and Stuart just saw it this past Friday in 2D.

For the most part we've kept the spoilers to a minimum but no promises there isn't something worth saving as a surprise. If you like to be completely spoiler free don't continue reading.

What did you know about the Spiderverse before seeing the movie?
Adam: a bit
Tyler: nothing, Tom Holland is the best Spiderman
Brendan: I knew about Miles, Spider Gwen, and I knew there was a Spiderverse
Susi: *just broke into singing the original cartoon's theme song when asked
Stuart: I knew Spiderman existed and his name was Peter Parker
Sister: Nothing
Me: I read Edge of Spiderverse and knew some of the lore of the Spiderverse lore. None of the knowledge was necessary for the movie.

Good:
Adam: Both the soundtrack and action were good. I enjoyed the story and all the nods to different spidy-versions, especially the suit nods.
Tyler: I agree, and the "that's all folks" given by Peter Porker.
Brendan: I could go for ever. I had high expectations and they were met and exceeded. It was so good it. It blew Homecoming out of the water and I loved Homecoming. And I really like Tom Holland and, I use to think he was the best Spiderman...till now. The soundtrack was great and I normally don't care for hip hop. There were great hints for the Doc Oct reveal (Octagon glasses and matching octagon office lights). And the meta was amazing.
Susi: It was a fun, well-crafted look at Spiderman. It was accessible to me who hasn't read the comics and very enjoyable. I liked how each character was done in their own unique style. The artwork between dimensions was fun and weird but not hard to follow. And there were strong characters both male and female without an PC agenda. The story stood on its own. [Liz's Editor's Note: BBC take notes, I want better Doctor Who stories}
Stuart: I enjoyed the throw-backs, nods, and homage to the past comics and shows from the purposeful blurring of the scenes to be reminiscent of the early poor quality printing to the "ka-pow" fighting with the "bagel to the face" bubble. And it didn't rest on these as a gimmick the story was good.
Sister: The music, loved the music. Also the art and the style of the movie. Oh, and when that guy got hit by the bus
Me: There is so much to love about this movie. It was all good. I agree with everything my friends have said except maybe which is the better Spidy, I still really like Homecoming and Tom Holland. I only had one complaint the rest was great. It was fun and funny, entertaining and fresh, creative and still familiar. I don't know how they hit so many marks well but they did.

Less Than Good:
Adam: It was blurry at times. In the story arch the Prowler's end felt rushed
Tyler: I agree with Adam, in same scene Mile's Dad's reaction felt a little off. I also disliked the sequel setup.
Brendan: I just want more.
Susi: The blurry bits, it might have been a purposefully choice but it took away from my enjoyment of the movie.
Stuart:The blurriness at times was distracting.
Sister: Peter poker needed more line.
Me: I also found it blurry at times. Seeing the it in 3D I was questioning if it was my eyes or if it was a technical issue. I have since learned that the blurriness was a design choice. Well I get the reason the effect gave me a headache.

Favourite Spidy:
Adam: Miles and Noir
Tyler: Earth 6
Brendan: Miles and Noir and then Ham
Susi: I like them all, for different reasons -don't make me choose
Stuart: Spider Ham
Sister: The roommate (not a spidy)
Me: Spider Gwen, but I am biased. I liked her going in and she's the only Spidy I've read

Favourite quote/scene:
Adam: Miles taking a leap of faith/the suiting up sequence
Tyler: Stan Lee scene
Brendan: Just a leap of faith scene and the Miles story, "let's go over this one more time"
Susi: "Save it for comic con" crack and Peter B Parker comments on the
Stuart: "This is going to make a good origin story" Spiderman Noir (slightly paraphrased)
Sister: Spray painting scenes
Me: There were so much good. The leap of faith and Stan Lee were two of the best scenes and invoked an emotional reaction in me. I teared up for Stan Lee's cameo. I think for action and interaction the stealth trip to steal from the lab and the subsequent fight sequence. 

The movie is animated; is this just for kids?
Adam: No
Tyler: We weren't kids
Brendan: no, if you aren't seeing this because it is a cartoon you are doing yourself a disservice.
Susi: Oh no, definetly not. I also think the concept might go over a ten year old's head.
Stuart: Agreed. A kid also couldn't appreciate the history and nods
Sister: I watch mlp so I might not be the best advice but I think it's for everyone
Me: I agree with Susi and Stuart, the humour and story seem written to an older audience. Kids might enjoy but it seems meant for adults.

Would you watch again?
Adam: Yes
Tyler: Not in theaters but yes
Brendan: plans already made
Susi: Yes
Stuart: Yes
Sister: Absolutely
Me: For sure

Rating:
Adam: 4 thwips (the web slinging sound) out of five
Tyler: 3.9 spider bites
Brendan: 5 great origin stories out of 5
Susi: 4 Ka-Pows out of 5 (it loses points for the blurry bits)
Stuart: 4 colliders out of 5 
Sister: 5 flying buses out of 5
Me: 4.2 USB drives out of 5

Comments