September 38 While 38 Update

With just seven months to complete this year's birthday-bucket list challenge, today day seemed like a good chance to access how the goals are going.

Challenge Legend:
Black =have not started
Green =just started or have a plan
Blue =in progress and success is possible
Purple =VICTORY!

1. Pray for 40 Days
We did a 50 days of prayer as a church earlier this year. I participated but I was not great at the daily habit, which was the point of this goal. Last month I started praying nightly with Alex but I want for this success to be a personal morning prayer habit.

2. Read 10 Non-Fiction Books
This is a work in progress. I have a few books started. One almost finished. Yet most of the books I begun haven't been read past the first few pages read. I will need to set up if I am to finish before next April.

3. Read the Whole Bible
I've been using the free YouVersion Bible on my phone; according to the app I am 83.6% done.

4. Dance...a lot
There has been no formal dancing, but there has been a lot of silly dancing. In fact I did much dancing tonight at the Rend Collective concert.

5. Be a Amazon (get physically fit)
I'm starting small, I joined a class called "Shieldmaiden 1." We're learning the basics of viking sword work.
 
6. Take a leap of faith
I'm not ready to share, but there is something...

7. GM at a Con
I've offered a game event I attend in March that I would be a Game Master for a RPG called Ryuutama.

8. Cosplay as Mera
I don't think this one is going to happen this year. Wonderful friends 3D printed the trident, which is amazing and a good start. It is everything else. 1) the con I would have counted is actually in May just after my birthday...so when I made the list I had planned to have the costume ready early for pre-birthday pictures (which I guess is still possible). 2) This is probably the biggest reason: I have been planning a trip to Germany next summer with my good friend Aurora for the past four years. All extra money needs to go to the trip and cosplay is expense. 3) I am working on this, but as of now I physically don't feel comfortable/ready for the costume.
 
9. Maxing all Spanish lessons (up to 2nd level) on Duolingo
Today I have maxed the eight lessons in level one!  Because Duolingo restrutched the Spanish course there are now 26 lesson units in level 2.

10. Hug a baby animal
I have a friend who has promised to help with this one.

11. Find Wonder
I like these vague challenges, they cause me to be created like shopping for that one person on your Christmas list. Do you know what I mean, they are that person that you know what it is when you see it because can't explain it before? That is this challenge. I often seek joy and fun which leads to wonder. And yet as of now, this one hasn't been achieved.

12. Be Spontaneous
The same explanation as "Find Wonder" fits here. I will know the moment when it happens.

13. Go on an adventure
I think my road trip planned for next month will count

14. Visit Petawawa
Has not happened, yet (really had hoped to do that this summer).

15. Go on a 8km Hike
Unless my walk in Ikea last week was 8km (pretty sure it wasn't even though it felt like it) this hasn't happened. I have got about 3-5km...8km will need some working up to.

16. Go on Three Dates (with the same person)
For regular readers, you may have noticed a few selfies with Alex. We met at Comic Con this year. Has our first date a week later at a board game con. There was a dinner in there but next big date, he joined my church's group to go to WonderJam. A few week's later we visited the National Art Gallery together. That's three dates. The last picture is from the Rend Collective concert because we didn't take a selfie on that first date.

17. Revamp this blog
Hasn't happened yet, this has been the same design for almost ten years.

18. Make a vlog
Um...nope

19. Blog 100 times
According to my blog, I have posted 30 times (including this post) since my birthday. Only 70 articles to go.

20. Memorize a whole Bible chapter
I had chosen a chapter a month ago, 1 Corinthians 13. I will still plan to memorize it. However, I am in the Church Renewal Mentorship program and am regularly memorizing scripture for it. I know an upcoming passage is going to be Psalm 1. So that might be the chapter I learn.

21. Go skydiving
For the same finacle reasons Mera is going to have to wait, I think this is going to have to wait.

22. Scrapbook the Alaska trip
I the book, I have my journals/blog posts from the trip, I have special paper and cool special accents. All of which I had a year ago right after the trip. There has been no progress on actually turning those individual things into a scrapbook. I think the first step is either buying more Project Life style sheets or printing pictures.
  
23. Make cards with Mum regularly
Mum and I have been doing this! For about six weeks we have gotten together and made cards. It has been so much fun. I have been sharing on Facebook but I think I should start posting our creations on the blog (which will also help with #19)

24. Try online dating
About a week after my birthday I signed up for three different dating services. Since I wasn't willing to pay for the services I only got waves I couldn't respond too and messages from men that seemed more interested in my ability to provide a green card. About a week later I attend comic con, met Alex, and no longer needed to look at the sites.

25. Go rock climbing (indoor or outdoor)
Um...nope. I also don't think this would actually be enjoyable with my current fitness level.

26. Visit an Art Gallery

27. Hug a friend I haven't seen awhile (like more than two years)
Tonight, while lining up for the Rend Collective concert I heard someone say, "Hey, is that Elizabeth." Since everyone since college days and most people in high school call me "Liz" I didn't even turn. I then was walking the line looking for Sister when I heard, "Yes, I think it is Elizabeth Stewart." I turned and there was a friend from high school I haven't seen in 19 years. Of course there were hugs and this selfie as proof:

28. Have $1000 in savings
There is slightly more! It is all for the Germany trip but it is there!

29. Go star gazing
I've seen stars...but have not actually gone star gazing.

30. Read Comics
Yeah, no. I have almost two years of stories to read. 


31. Paint the canvas
I'm not even sure where the canvas is since I moved again.

32. Try something new
I have tried a new food Pho; I have tried new games; but I think for this I'm going with the Shieldmaiden class.

33. Attempt to publish my children's stories
Um...nope

34. Watercolour more
I haven't painted since last November :(

35. Have a great Sister day!
We have done things together like WonderJam, movie dates, and the Rend Collective concert. But each time it was us with a group. For this to be a success I think it needs to just be sisters only day.

36. Play all my games at least once
With the Monday night games we've been slowing working through my games. There are about 65 left to play.

37. Journal regularly again
Um...nope. I haven't even managed to write a full seven days consecutively.
 
38. Enjoy 38 flavours of ice cream
I have enjoyed three flavours so far: birthday cake, vanilla, and banana split pie.

Progress Thoughts:
I learned a new Excel skill to figure out how things are going. BAM:
 
Pie chart. Looking at it I am pleased and the blue and green progress. Having 16% completed is great. The 45% of challenges that haven't even been started is daunting. I have already decided for financial reasons some challenges are going to have to wait for another year. And that is okay, good even. 

I also think there are a few goals that won't take much effort once I have gotten started; they just need to get started. It will take a change in focus, priorities, and small new habits. Which was the whole reason things like journaling, reading, and painting were on the list in the first place.

I'm going to review these challenges again in November. Next month's review is going to be on the 40 Before 40. It has been awhile since I even looked at what those challenges are.

Comments