May's Look at the 40 While 40

One month into this year's birthday challenge and I am feeling great! For the first time ever I made a plan to track challenges that are daily, monthly, done in stages, have specific deadlines, and those that are one times but will take effort. I'm feeling ahead of the curve this year. With all the planning I also am keeping all the goals in mind so on days when I don't know what to do I have been getting started on some of bigger challenges.

Another difference this year was that I didn't write out my thinking behind each of the challenges for the blog. Instead, I am working on a video that talks about the reason for each of the goals and what I am counting for success. My plan is to have it edited to share with June's update.

Now to look at how things are going. I am using the same colour key from the previous years.

Challenge Legend:
Black =have not started
Green =just started or have a plan
Blue =in progress and success is possible
Purple =VICTORY!

1. Go on a Spiritual Retreat.

2. Practice Sabbath Keeping 40 times.
We have had three days of Sabbath keeping this year.

3. Finish reading through the Bible.
I have 160 days left to read.

4. Write 40 sermons/sermon outlines.

5. Memorize 40 new Scripture verses.
I have memorized 11 new verses since my birthday.

6. Master the Charleston dance.
I took an online dance class this past winter, Dancing Through the Decades. Well in theory I took the class what ended up happening was that I just downloaded the lessons to watch later. I did the first one which was the 1920s and have started work on the basic step of the Charleston. More of a consistent effort is needed.

7. Walk to Lothlorien (virtually with the Walk to Mordor app).
We have made it to Crickhollow and are 9.8% of the way to Lothlorien (1240.5 km to go). 

8. Walk a virtual walk of the Cabot Trail.
We have finished 45% or 135.7km with only 163.7 km to go!

9. Complete a virtual Mount Fuji climb.

10. Go on a 15km+ Hike.

11. Reach my XBX level.
I am on Chart 1 - Level 3.

12. Sleep in a tent or under the stars and/or take a road trip someplace Alex and I have never been.

13. Read 40 Books.  
I have finished two books.

14. Make a Dopa menu.

15. Make Origami Animals.
We made our first Origami animal, they are a simple fox. Alex thinks we should make a whole ark of animals.

16. Colour in my giant colouring book.
I've started working on two pictures so far.

17. Work on my many scrapbook projects.

18. Send out Thank you cards.

19. Create a Christmas Card mailing list and SEND cards.

20. Host a Twelfth night party. 

21. Create a Year of Memories use 1 second video.
I've been using the app and adding two videos to the app everyday since my birthday. Using the app regularly got me excited to do another video of my first year married. Here is Alex and my second month married video:
 
I love the app. It is a lot of fun. What I can't decided is do I make my birthday month videos to share now? And if I do, what should I do when the married month videos overlap with birthday month? Do I just keep going with the married or should I post birthday only. Or both but it's the same content. These are questions that keep me up at night. 

22. Make the “Curse Breaker” sword from Onward.
I have some of the needed materials, paints and EVA foam. I have a support dowel but I think it will be too weak for this project. I've also been watching a video by Odin Makes on how he put together this same blade for ideas.

23. Complete one new cosplay.
I have a character planned. I have made a sketch of the character, with a breakdown of all the items I will need to either order, buy, and make. There has been some research for pieces that I will need to buy. I have also bought make-up that will be specifically required for the project. And had friends helped me last year by 3D printing one item. Now, my question to you friends and readers, would you like to know ahead of time who the character is or would you rather it be a surprise?

24. Try contact lens.

25. Try all of Baskin Robins Flavours of the Month.
May's flavour has been tried. It was interesting.

26. Stream Zelda Windwaker on Twitch.
The Zelda streaming has begun; with almost 15 hours of game play. With Alex's help we're setting up all the things to make Twitch work like a theme and schedule. I leave the technology stuff to Alex. We've had some issues with our capture card. A new one has been ordered and overall it is going well. If you'd like to watch you can find me here on Sundays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays.

27. Journal Everyday.
Alex got me a beautiful five year journal for my birthday. It is one that I've been wanting for a few years but never picked up out of fear I wouldn't use it. Each page is devoted to a date such as May 26, with five spaces for writing. The space given is enough to write about six to seven lines summing up the day. Since April 26 every day has been filled. On nights when I've stay up late or am too tired to think I filled in the days entry the next morning while my thoughts are still fresh. I count this and look forward to using the journal for years to come.

28. Make a gnome home.
I have an location, a door, and almost a plan. Alex and I have been doing research, watching YouTube tutorials, and gathering a few supplies. Next step will be crafting.

29. Sew a dress or a circle skirt.

30. Paint the Humblewood miniatures.

31. Make a D&D character journal/binder.

32. GM at a convention.
I am registered for a game convention that will hopefully happen in March 2022.

33. Play 40 different board games.
We have played 16 different board since my birthday. Most of the games we've played have been in person but a few have been virtual using Board Game Arena. 

34. Complete all the Escape quests.
We have completed the first five challenges.

35. Finish Season One of Pandemic Legacy.

36. Truly participate in NaNoWriMo 2021.

37. Try a Capsule Wardrobe for 40 Days.

38. Finish the Sweater.
The sweater is progressing well. I just started the third ball of yarn.

39. Finish the Dice Bags.

40. Paint the Canvas.

A Few Thoughts:
1) Things are going well. This is the strongest start to a birthday challenge I've had in years, maybe ever. In fact I think the last three years I still hadn't made the list by May.
2) I have a reasonable plan to accomplish all the tasks, except maybe the canvas. This could be the first year that I actually complete all the challenges. Not that that is my highest priority. My goal is to do more that I would have if there wasn't a challenge list. Still 100% success would be great.


Comments