July's Look at the 40 While 40

July has been whirlwind month, all good winds whirling but whirling none the less. 

We started the month with a roadtrip to northwestern Ontario to a relatives cabin. We did the 19 hours drive over three days, camped there a week and then spent four days diving back. The last day we celebrated our one year anniversary. The next week was spent packing. We moved into our new home on a Friday and have been unpacking and settling in ever since. There is still a lot to do. Our future office/craft room/studio/project space still needs subflooring and flooring laid, wiring, and a good coat of paint. 

Even with all that going on I was able to make some progress on the 40 While 40, and the road trip even completed one of the challenges. What didn't happen was the editing the 40 While 40 introduction video. That project has to stay on hold until the office is finished. Hopefully before Christmas. I'm starting to think it might not happen until a week before my birthday and the end of the challenge. 

With all that, here in the recent progress on this year's 40 challenges:

Challenge Legend:
Black =have not started
Green =just started or have a plan
Blue =in progress and success is possible
Purple =VICTORY!

1. Go on a Spiritual Retreat.

2. Practice Sabbath Keeping 40 times.
We have had ten days of Sabbath keeping this year. Our day of rest is a split between the Saturday and the Sunday. 

3. Finish reading through the Bible.
I have 156 days left to read.

4. Write 40 sermons/sermon outlines.
I preached my second sermon this month, giving me my two sermons done out of forty. I know I will be preaching twice in August. The rest will have to be notes. I'm thinking of starting with a series on the sermon on the mount.

5. Memorize 40 new Scripture verses.
I have memorized 11 new verses since my birthday.

6. Master the Charleston dance.
I've worked on my basic step a few times and have followed a tutorial on how to get the swivel right. It is looking rough but it is a start. I'm going to start regular weekly practice once we have the house settled.

7. Walk to Lothlorien (virtually with the Walk to Mordor app).
We have passed Weathertop. The next big milestone "Mr. Bilbo's Trolls" (only 208.95 km away) it might take two months to get there. For the big goal we are 30.78% of the way to Lothlorien (952.45 km to go). 

8. Walk a virtual walk of the Cabot Trail.
We have finished the 299.4km goal on July 28! We started the Ring of Kerry as our next virtual walking challenge.

9. Complete a virtual Mount Fuji climb.
We have already paid for this challenge but are waiting till the colder weather to start the adventure.

10. Go on a 15km+ Hike.
I'm starting to look at provincial parks that have trails long enough for this challenge.

11. Reach my XBX level. (Which is Level 22)
The plan is to start again next week. I am going to have to adjust a few of the exercises but I am excited to get back to it. 

12. Sleep in a tent or under the stars and/or take a road trip someplace Alex and I have never been.
We went to camping in Fort Frances. It was a three day road trip there with seven days of tenting and a four day road trip back. We also visited seven provincial parks along the way.

13. Read 40 Books.  
I have finished 12 books, mostly audiobooks.

14. Make a Dopa menu.
I have done more research, rewatched the original How to ADHD video that inspired this goal. And I've played with menu templates in Canva.

15. Make Origami Animals.
We made origami foxes. There were no new animals this month but for our paper anniversary I bought Alex an book on origami animals.

16. Colour in my giant colouring book.
No colouring this month.

17. Work on my many scrapbook projects.

18. Send out Thank you cards.
My personal goal to send the cards has come and gone but I still intend to send the thank yous before the end of August.

19. Create a Christmas Card mailing list and SEND cards.

20. Host a Twelfth night party. 

21. Create a Year of Memories using 1 second video.
Still using the app; still enjoying the challenge. 

22. Make the “Curse Breaker” sword from Onward.
This might be a fall project.

23. Complete one new cosplay.
I have ordered a white makeup pot to lighten the blue I already had and I have ordered ear. Construction and other props will wait till after the move.

24. Try contact lens.

25. Try all of Baskin Robins Flavours of the Month.
July's flavour has been tried. Three tasted nine to go.

26. Stream Zelda Windwaker on Twitch.
I have finished the main dungeons, completed the triforce of courage, and have 19 hearts. All that is left is a collecting the final four heart pieces, a few sea charts and then face Ganondorf. 

27. Journal Everyday.
The writing has continued. There have been a few times this month that I've had to write two or three entries at once. It still counts for me because my goal is to have an entry for every day of my year of 40. I just know thinking beyond three days will be too much.

28. Make a gnome home.
I had a location, it was a stump at my parents. Only the old tree has found new life and I am not sure the project will work any more.

29. Sew a dress or a circle skirt.
I have found some free patterns. I need to print the patterns and wash the fabric.

30. Paint the Humblewood miniatures.
We have the minis, the paints, and the brushes. Now we just need the time.

31. Make a D&D character journal/binder.
The box with the pink 6x8 scrapbook binder, page protectors, and other craft supplies has arrived. Now I need to unpack my D&D stuff and find my character sheets.

32. GM at a convention.
I am registered for a game convention that will hopefully happen in March 2022.

33. Play 40 different board games.
We have played 24 different board since my birthday.  

34. Complete all the Escape quests.
We have completed six challenges.

35. Finish Season One of Pandemic Legacy.

36. Truly participate in NaNoWriMo 2021.

37. Try a Capsule Wardrobe for 40 Days.

38. Finish the Sweater.
I have begun the ribbing and started a new ball of yarn. After the ribbing there is the two arms and blocking.

39. Finish the Dice Bags.

40. Paint the Canvas.
I am resolved the canvas will be painted this year, even if it is just finger painting with friends on April 25th, this is the last year "Paint Canvas" is going to be on a birthday challenge list. To help with this goal I have bought some specific acrylic paints, brushes, and seven smaller canvases to practice the technique I want to try.

A Few Thoughts:
1) The first two victories! I'm 5% of the way to the goal.
2) I'm worried there will be no progress before the August update. Right now all our energy is going into settling into our new place and unpacking. It has to be the top priority at the moment. Still, I will be sad if there is no challenge progress. 

Comments