The 42 While 42 Birthday Challenge: January

.

Happy 2024!

I was happily telling Alex today that it was four months until my birthday. He informed me that my count is off and I only have three months to complete this years challenge. I thought I was doing well but this revelation has birthed a certain amount of panic deep in my heart. 

This year's challenge is 42 While 42. The goal is to complete as many of the following 42 goals by 11:59 on the eve of my birthday, April 25, 2024. Which I've just learned/realized is only three months away. Statistically I should be 75% finished. Let's see how I'm doing.

Challenge Legend:
Black =have not started
Green =just started or have a plan
Blue =in progress and success is possible
Purple =VICTORY!

New Adventures:

1. Live somewhere new

We moved to Kingston!


2. Lead a group inductive Bible Study

It's happening now. I'm leading a group through the Book of Mark

3. Survive Hebrew Expository 1 (Fall 2023)

I passed. It was challenging at times. There was great weeping and gnashing of teeth but I got through.

4. Survive Hebrew Expository 2 (Winter 2024)

I'm three weeks into this term. I actually feel like I'm comprehending more than I ever expected.

5. Translate Ruth from Hebrew into English

I finished the translation project early December. You can find the whole translation on the blog.

6. Continue Sabbath keeping

This has continued to be a challenge with a new development. My Hebrew class is on my day off.

7. Be thankful

The two key ways I am being thankful is daily journaling and the weekly Thankful Thursday posts found here.

8. Keep up with my 5 year journal

Alex gave me this beautiful five year journal for my 40th birthday. I love it. I like being able to look at a date and see what was happening in the previous years.

I've been working on reestablishing a daily habit. Not a lot of success but I keep trying. I'm working on being intentional with grace.

9. Explore a new city

Alex and I have been having a great time getting to know our new city. There have been a number of adventures already that counted like a boat tour, trolley tour, and our own days exploring.

10. Cosplay with Alex

Alex and I went to Ottawa Comic Con this year as Shaggy and Velma from Scooby-Doo.

  

11. Try a new experience

We went hiking with goats. It was a delightful experience.

12. Prepare a ballroom floor show

I picked a song and a style of dance. Something we could practice in limited apartment space. Sadly, there has been a setback to our regular ballroom dancing. In early December our car was broken into and of the things taken they stole our dance shoes that we stored in the trunk. 

13. Going mini golfing

We spontaneously went to a glow in the dark mini golf location to celebrate our friends birthday only to be told we needed a reservation. We know for next time and want to go with our friends.

14. Visit a zoo or aquarium

We went to both in October:

 

 

15. Sew a dress

I've read the pattern, have the fabric, the notions, and a machine. Now I just need to make the time.

Seasonal Adventures:

Spring

16. Celebrate Happy Duck Day (March 25th)

Happy Duck Day was a celebration Alex and I created in 2020. It brought joy to a grey month. Looking forward to splashing in puddles with Alex this coming March and a few other of our traditions.

17. Paint Easter eggs

I can't remember the last time I decorated eggs. I really want to do something special this coming Easter.

18. Hike a new trail

We did a number of new hikes this summer. I know it was a "spring" activity but it counts for the challenge.

19. Attend the Tulip Festive

We saw a few beds this year on Mother's Day.

20. Visit an outdoor farmer’s market

I love farmer's markets. We went to a few different markets. It is always a joy. And we found such yummy foods.

Summer

21. Picnic in a park

We had a delightful day with my parents!

22. Visit a new provincial park

I went to two different provincial parks I had never visited before.

23. Go on a boat ride

The boat tour had us on a boat

24. Watch fireworks

I was so sick July 1st. I missed all the fun we had planned. Slept through the family BBQ, but felt well enough to sit for the Canada Day fireworks.

25. Run my last Day Camp (VBS)

This summer we ran Monumental as our day camp, it seems like it will be the last time I am the camp director. I've been in full-time church ministry for 17 years. A majority of that time I've been leading children's ministries including the big summer programs like days camps, backyard clubs, or VBS. It has been a huge part of my life. With the transition to lead pastor I am passing the role on to others. I may participate in future summer kids programs but it is unlikely to be in the same way.

Autumn

26. Decorate for autumn

It made me happy. I loved the seasonal feels. I have been pondering what other seasons we could decorate for and have been stumped by non-Christmas winter decor.

27. Host Thanksgiving

This thanksgiving we hosted my parents and my sister for a delicious turkey feast. My parents brought smoked turkey and ham, while Alex and I made the vegetables.  Everyone enjoyed the meal and the decorations.

28. Watch Over the Garden Wall

I tried on four different occasion to watch this with different people. Alex and I ended up watching most of the ten episodes we fell asleep before the conclusion.  

29. Have an autumnal adventure

We went to Wynn Farms, for a corn maze and to try their candy apple and caramel apple.

30. Go on a ghost walk or tour

We join a tour in our city November 1st. It was okay. 

Winter

31. Send Christmas Cards

Cards were sent, so victory. However, the cards were from my church and me as the pastor of my church to the congregation. My fantastic admin had printed all the address labels. I never got to mailing the cards I bought for friends and family. 

32. Attend the Nutcracker Ballet

We had a lovely night.

33. Go Christmas Caroling

I think we went caroling four times in long term care homes and once door to door in our neighborhood. It filled my heart with great joy.

34. Make a hearty winter soup

It could still happen

35. Participate in an outdoor winter sport

I'm not sure this will happen. I want to snowshoe...I need to do some investigating. This is a good reminder.

Missed Adventures:

I have gone over every birthday challenge since the first one from 2006 and have made a list of all the missed opportunities. I now have three months left to finish seven. 

36. ?

37. ?

38. ?

39. ?

40. ?

41. ?

42. ?

Conclusion:


I'm not unhappy with the progress. Most of the challenges have been started or are in progress. Four of the remaining challenges are time specific and I needed to wait for the right season. This is not the 75% accomplished that one might expect with only three months remaining. The biggest thought I have is that by not blogging monthly updates the goals I've set from myself slip my mind. To help in this area I will be back in a month with another update.

Comments