I Will Never…

When I was a child my parents had phrases that annoyed me. I thought they were so silly or stupid. And as they would say these things I would think "when I grow up I will never…!" It was a lie. I have turned into my parents. When I am with children I find the same "annoying" words slipping from my mouth.

Today one of my preschool students wouldn’t eat and just like my dad I said, "Eat up, it helps you grow big and strong…" and I stopped myself before adding "…and it puts hair on your chest." but I thought it. (In Dad’s world everything good for you puts hair on your chest.)

Is anyone else turning into their parents?

Comments

Jo said…
hmmm. i think one should ask, are my parents good people to emulate? in your parents case, liz, i don't presume it to be a problem! "growing up to be big and strong" sounds a lot like a motivational speaker....and really, is that so bad??;)
Combs said…
Isn't it freaky the first time that happens? So disconcerting.
A.T.H.
matthew said…
no. i'm also turning into your parents
Robin said…
I can definitely see some of my dad's sense of humour in me... and it's frightening.
Amy said…
yes, yes, yes.

my mom and I OFTEN say the exact same thing, at the same time, with precisely the same inflection and tone.

it's frightening :)