A Thought

Every week my church sends out a e-newsletter, which includes the Sr. Pastor's Thought of the Week. With Scott (Sr. Pastor) away writing a thought was my responsibility this week. It took me a while to decide on a subject, which was the reason for yesterday's facebook status was "Elizabeth is lost for words...but trying to write" This is what I ended up sharing:

Praise the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits- who forgives all your sins and heals all your diseases, who redeems your life from the pit and crowns you with love and compassion, who satisfies your desires with good things so that your youth is renewed like the eagle's.
Psalm 103:2-5


Two weeks ago, I had the privilege of reading Psalm 103 at my grandfathers funeral. It was a emotional moment and I could feel tears welling up in my eyes. By verse five my sight was becoming too blurry to see the words correctly. What I ended up saying didn’t make sense, “who scarifies your desires.” I read it again but still said “sacrifices” completely changing the meaning of the verse. I paused, apologized to the congregation saying it was hard to read through tears. After someone passed me a box of tissues and I dried my eyes I was able to see the words clearly, “who satisfies you desires with good things.”

The situation got me thinking about our relationship with God and how we need clear vision to see Him and His truth. Circumstances, guilt, pride, broken relationships, even our joys and successes can blur our vision of God. Join me in asking God for a clear picture of who he is. We also need to remember that so many people around us are still blind to God. Pray for them this week.

Pastor Liz

Comments