Counting the Blessings #1


We talked about God's blessing with week in Life Group (for those unfamiliar with the term it is a small group that hangs out, reflects on the Sunday sermon, and supports each other in the living of life). One of our questions was "do you find it easier to notice the blessings or troubles in your life?" I think my habits and head space determines which I am more likely to notice.

When I am in taking time consistently to be thankful, either on my blog or personal journal, the habit helps me to see the little joys and simple blessings. That was a reason Challenge 8 "Count My Blessings" made in on to my list of 33 While 33.

Challenges work as a way for me to form habits. So, at least for the year, Thankful Thursday is getting a fresh new look. The nice thing will be that I won't feel bad if I miss posting on Thursday as long as I share every week. With that on to the counting...

1) I am alive! To quote the Fun Time Brigade "It's pretty rad to be alive."

2) I have decent vision and access to glasses to make up the difference and it means I can enjoy sunrises and sunsets. I can see art, color, trees, friends, and ocean views. It means I can drive, paint and read (I know there is braille but :P).

3) I have my hearing and it means I can enjoy children's laughter, birds singing, waves crashing, audio books, talking, and music.

4) I am pretty healthy. I lost my voice for most of the week but in the grand scheme of things its really a minor thing.

5) I can read and I even enjoy reading. There was a time I didn't think I would ever be able to read; it was a struggle for me to learn. There were different teachers, EA, tutors, and volunteers who helped but I especially am blessed that my parents fought for me (and with me) so that I did not fall through the cracks of the education system.

6) I have dear friends who know my struggles and love me in spite of my domestic limitations. They are the type of friends that will "break in" while I am at youth group and clean. True story, it was awesome. They even left cookies and flowers.

7) I am blessed to live in a country in which I can choose my belief or non-belief. My beliefs are my own and not assumed or dictated my father's religion. I am a Christ follower, and do not live in fear of arrest, beatings, or death because I am a Christian. It is not so everywhere; I heard on the news today about Meriam Yehya Ibrahim a Christian woman in Sudan who has been given a death sentence today.

She was convicted by a Khartoum court of apostasy (turning her back on Islam). CNN explains "She was born to a Sudanese Muslim father and an Ethiopian Orthodox mother. Her father left when she was 6 years old, and Ibrahim was raised by her mother as a Christian. However, because her father was Muslim, the courts considered her to be the same..." It also means that the courts don't recognize her marriage to a Christian man so she was convicted adultery and sentenced to 100 lashes. Meriam is 8 months pregnant and imprisoned with her 20 month-old son. You can find more about her at Amnesty International.

Comments