Introducing the 40 While 40 Birthday Challenge

Four days ago I began my forty-first journey around the sun (I turned 40). And with a birthday come a new list of birthday challenges. 

The goal is to complete as many of the following 40 goals by 11:59 on the eve of my birthday, April 25, 2022.

1. Go on a Spiritual Retreat.
2. Practice Sabbath Keeping 40 times.
3. Finish reading through the Bible.
4. Write 40 sermons/sermon outlines
5. Memorize 40 new Scripture verses
6. Master the Charleston dance.
7. Walk to Lothlorien (virtually with the Walk to Mordor app).
8. Walk a virtual walk of the Cabot Trail.
9. Complete a virtual Mount Fuji climb.
10. Go on a 15km+ Hike.
11. Reach my XBX level.
12. Sleep in a tent or under the stars and/or take a road trip someplace Alex and I have never been.
13. Read 40 Books.  
14. Make a Dopa menu.
15. Make Origami Animals.
16. Colour in my giant colouring book.
17. Work on my many scrapbook projects.
18. Send out Thank you cards.
19. Create a Christmas Card mailing list and SEND cards.
20. Host a Twelfth night party. 
21. Create a Year of Memories use 1 second video.
22. Make the “Curse Breaker” sword from Onward.
23. Complete one new coplay
24. Try contact lens.
25. Try all of Baskin Robins Flavours of the Month.
26. Stream Zelda Windwaker on Twitch.
27. Journal Everyday.
28. Make a gnome home.
29. Sew a dress or a circle skirt.
30. Paint the Humblewood miniatures.
31. Make a D&D character journal/binger.
32. GM at a convention.
33. Play 40 different board games.
34. Complete all the Escape quests.
35. Finish Season One of Pandemic Legacy.
36. Truly participate in NaNoWriMo 2021.
37. Try a Capsule Wardrobe for 40 Days.
38. Finish the Sweater.
39. Finish the Dice Bags.
40. Paint the Canvas.

A Few Thoughts:
1) I think this might be the last list that I set completion for the challenge as a single year. A few years to work on some bigger challenges might be interesting. Next year would be a perfect time to start a 45 Before 45. I think at this point 50 is too far away for any challenges to stay relevant or in my memory. 

2) My first list was a 25 Before 25. At the time I thought that it would be impossible to make longer lists and I might run out of new goal ideas. Now that I am making much bigger lists have I surprised myself. Coming up with the ideas wasn't that hard. The first draft of this year's list had 85 or so possible goals. The real struggle was editing down the list.

3) Compared to last year I had a better handle on how to make a challenge list that wouldn't be impossible during a pandemic (limited travel, tourist, or adventure goals). I am hopefully that everything will be possible this year. With the exception of five goals, everything on this list can be done at home and would not be hindered by a lockdown.  I am optimistic that even the five challenges that will happen at some point. If I am wrong I have five alternate challenges:

  • Disneybound five times
  • Have an picnic outdoors
  • Take care of my purple wig
  • Marie Kondo my stuff
  • Make a flower crown

Comments