August Birthday Bucket List Check In

Someone asked me how my challenges were going last Saturday. I gave some wishy-washy answer; the truth was I didn't have a clue. That's why I do a monthly review.

If you haven't seen it before, on my birthday I set a number of goals for the year. This year it is "35 While 35;" the challenges are divided into seven areas, spiritual, relationships, adventure, hobbies, culture, health, and second chances.

The Key
plain text = not started
green text = started
purple text = completed

Spiritual
1) Choose My One Word for 2017

2) Read the New Testament
I'm in Luke

3) Explore Contemplative Spirituality

4) A Day of Silence

5) Be Thankful

Relationships
6) Time with My Dad
Over five different days Dad and I put together a number of Ikea and Ikea like furniture. We also saw another football game.

7) Friend Reunions
It was a reunion with NS friends but still a reunion

8) Attend a Family Reunion
Attended my father's mother's family reunion

9) Send Christmas Cards
It's a bit early

10) Go on a Date
There was a meal, a walk in the park, then up a mountain, we got lost and two hours later found ice cream. It was a great time. It's a platonic relationship but it was a fun outing.

Adventure
11) Take a Risk
The risk was overcoming my fear of driving in cities, especially new cities. I drove into downtown Montreal during rush hour traffic...twice.

12) Go on a Road Trip
I've been on five road trips since my birthday, 1) Mark East 2) Move from NS to Ont 3) Family Picnic 4) Kingdom Bound and 5) to NS and Back.

13) Go Camping
So, I intended the challenge to mean tent camping or in the woods. However that did not happen this summer so I am going to count sleeping in a cabin at Kingdom Bound as camping (and be more specific next year).

14) Be Upside Down
There were a few times I was upside down while at Kingdom Bound, at Darien Lake. This was one of them. There is a video of me still on someone else's phone.

15) Be Outside Canada
Darien Lake is in New York, which is not Canada so one trip crossed off four challenges.

Hobbies
16) Try Something New

17) Join a Club/Group

18) Cosplay as a New/Different Character
I've been dreaming about ideas. It's a start.

19) Try Bullet Journalling
I've used a bullet journal style journal to track my food log and other vegan related lists.

20) Create a 40 Before 40 Challenge List

Culture
21) Visit a UNESCO World Heritage Site

22) See a Musical
Mum, Janna, and I saw the Stage Prophets production of Joseph and the Amazing Technicoloured Dream Coat

23) Participate in a Reading Challenge 

24) Go to a Ballet
I saw Sister dance in The Little Mermaid present by her ballet school

25) Attend a Convention

Health
26) Be a Vegan for 40 Days
I am three days away from finishing my vegan challenge.

27) Keep a Food Journal
During the vegan challenge I've also been using my bullet journal to record a food log. I will count this as finished when the vegan challenge is over.

28) Complete a Pull Up
I have used the monkey bars to start practicing. Right now I can dangle/hold my weight for five-ish seconds. It's small but it is a start.

29) Dance

30) Run 5 km
I've bought new running shoes and have the form for a 2km or 5km neon walk/run happening near the end of September.

Second-Chance
31) Finally Paint This Canvas
The canvas has been located. There was concern that it had not been packed on moving day. I am thinking about painting a tree.

32) Finish Four Children Stories

33) Make a Video

34) Draw More
I've had two sketches finished so far.

35) Grow Something to Eat
I planned a garden and it's doing well. I expect that I should be harvesting some produce this week.

Conclusion
Thirteen challenges completed!Dancing and happiness.

There are twelve challenges started or in progress.

Leaving ten challenges left to begin. Still not bad for four months into the year. With eight months left I this is still my best start. However, the some of the challenges have me second guessing if completion is possible. Challenges 1 and 23 won't begin till January and aren't a problem. I'm not worried about the silence, Christmas cards, trying something new, or joining a club challenges either. The video and the stories aren't impossible and yet seem two of the hardest. The real struggles are the convention and dance challenges. I had worked out how to achieve both but neither fit my budget and I am realizing might not happen.

I'll keep thinking, the next check in will be September 26th.

Comments