Days 12-13: Last Days and the Beach

Day 12: Last Day at Sea

I don't know what I expected the last day at sea to be like. It had a sad feel, that feeling of something good coming to an end. I had expected it. Also, we needed to pack and have our larger bags outside our cabins before supper. I dislike packing. The only thing worst that packing is unpacking. Packing at the start of a trip bearable because it is packing with the excitement of the coming adventure. Packing at the end is well...just the end and packing. All those feelings I expected.

The unexpected was the almost anxious rush that had us running around the ship trying to make the most of the last hours on the ship. Going here and there to have one last...ice cream, waffle, hot tub dip (which we actually passed on deciding that we didn't want to pack wet clothes). And mixed in that rush was strange scene of boredom. The last day afternoon activities didn't really appeal to me, there was nothing that could give me a reason to procrastinate on packing.

There was a bit of excitement to be sleeping on land again but mostly it was realizing the bulk of our trip was almost over. I spent the afternoon packing and watching the Love Boat. We did supper at the fancy dinning for the second time. We enjoyed most of our meals at the buffet, the sit down option was an experience. If we ever cruise again I am going to do more of that. The big "treat" on the last night was Baked Alaska and all the servers paraded around fake versions of the dessert with fake candles in the tops with the dinners waved their napkins. It was strange but fun. We ordered the Baked Alaska for dessert. It was okay but Mum has stated more than once it wasn't a real Baked Alaska.


We ended the night watching a show called "Born to Dance" which celebrated different Broadway choreographers and someone of there most iconic dances. I don't think I've said much about the shows. We saw four, the British Invasion, a soloist/ballad singer, the crew talent show, and this dance number. I think the crew show was best and in many ways better and funnier than the any of the professionals shows. My second favorite was the

Day 13: Back Again and a Beach
It was raining when we got into port. Thankfully it was over by the time we disembarked. We were delayed getting off the boat. The day before just after lunch the Captain had informed us that there was a critically ill passenger that needed immediate medical attention. A helicopter was coming to airlift them to the nearest hospital. At the time it meant that the outer decks were off limits, we couldn't use flash photography (and yet we witnessed people trying to get on deck to take pictures with very large cameras) and it meant we weren't traveling and our regular speed. It set-back our plans slightly but did not ruin our day.


After we were off and gathers our luggage we drove to Muir Beach and then up the coast to a cliff side look off. The rest of the evening was spent driving up the coast to our inn. It was a lot of winding roads up and down the coast but the views were worth the time. Only downside to the drive was I did find I felt more sea sick in the car than I had on the boat.

 

 

Moments after the picture on the right was taken a wave got me and and my shorts were wet for the rest of the day. And right below is one of my favourite pictures of Mum.

 



It is hard to see much because of the fog, but these were taken just a little higher up from the beach.





We arrived at our inn after dark, it wasn't till the next morning we could appreciate the scenic view. The rooms were lovely and after blogging I was happy to climb into bed. The funny thing, after the day before looking forward to sleeping on dry land I found it hard to sleep without the rocking of the boat.

Comments