Wednesday Weekly Art #13 -Plus New Supplies!

My apologies for the missing Art post last week. This time is wasn't for a lack of art, I had found the time to create just not the time to upload and share. The upside I was with some of the church's leadership for a 22 prayer retreat. It was awesome. Now for the art news.

I knew the 11-12th were going to be busy days for me so Thursday, September 6th I started right away getting ready for last weeks art. I wanted to give the bubbles an second try:


A few days before that I decided to pick up a variety of brushes from Michael's. I liked the price point and thought it would be a good starting place. I have wanted to try different brushes without spending too much in case this is a short lived interest.



It makes a bit of sense, but low price point also means low quality. I love trying the new brushes. I hate the hairs falling out and either drying in my paint pots or on the actual painting. I did start the fall scene with one of the bush brushes. The second frame is not finished. I returned to my aqua brush from these water scenes I did while away. The top was is meh, but I love how the sunset turned out. The one think I'm noticing is i don't leave enough transparency. My pictures look heavy and over worked.

 

Two Saturdays ago I was at a yard sale. The goal was useful items for my future apartment; I found a bookshelf. It's nice but not the best find of the day. The best find was a dalek (which I had enough self-control to leave there, and I already have two...or more). The second best was watercolours, watercolour paper, and a watercolour tutorial book -all for five dollars. I was ecstatic.

 

First think I did was make a sample of all the new colours.




Then I took most of the rest of the weekend to draw ten pages of grids. My Sister is loaning me an essentials work book. The first exercise is to make a grid and to mix the top row of colours with the side row of colours. I took it a step further and decided to mix every colour from my new collect.

It took me awhile to figure out how I wanted the pages/charts to be laid out. I thought it was important to have a true colour line. I also decided that I would be reading across the "spreadsheet." So the first four pages have the same ten colours down the left had colume and the six colours across the top change. The next four pages with be the next ten colours (following the swatch chart above). And things get a little weird for the last four colours. I've managed to fix their charts on two pages. 

At first I tired to paint a single colour on all the pages it appears to lessen the amount of mixing. I quickly realized how easy it would be to mix up where I was suppose to be painting (I also attempted to erase paint; not an easy task). The second challenge was the length of time it took waiting for a single block on colour to dry so I could paint a different page without smudging everything. 


After much frustration, and a few almost tears, I decided to work one page at a time. This is the first completed page; only nine more to paint. 

Comments

Fun! New things! Experimenting is great. I have some experimenting of my own to do.