Sister + Friend Movie Review: Mortal Engines


We saw Mortal Engines early January, the last week it was still playing in theaters.  The place was empty. I wasn't surprised. According to Rotten Tomatoes the critics hated it with 27% approval rating. The audience score was 59%.

We went because of the trailers; and I think it did deliver, it was unique, fantasy and yet it wasn't what I expected and I think I need to see it again to fully appreciate what was going on. It was epic on the scale of Lord of the Rings, with the beauty and same level of detail in scenes, but lacked the rich depth of story.

The one thing I didn't know going into the movie, was that it is based on a YA series. We discovered while trying to discover more about the character of Shrike. The movie has peaked my interest in the four book series by author Philip Reeves.

And always, there are spoilers ahead. If you don't want to know more than the trailer reveals don't read any further.

The Good:
Tyler: It was fast past, which kept you interested and engaged. As a movie it was a fun ride. There were good moments of symbolism and pop culture references without becoming an overuse gimmick.
Sister: It was fun. Things I liked were the lady in flamboyant red coat, the floating castle, all the landscapes really, and the robot/Shrike*.
Me: I agree with both Tyler and Sister's comments. It was fun, interesting, and immersive. There was no questioning the story in the moment. And it was beautiful to watch, same grand world scale as Lord of the Rings. It has a post apocalyptic feel that was well developed and rang true. And I loved so much of the story telling.

*Shrike isn't' actually a robot, he just looks and acts like one. We know from the movie he's the last of the dreaded Lazarus soldiers. It is referenced that they were created from removing all humanity and emotions from a person. In a conversation with Hester, Shrike offered to make the girl like him. She said you would have to kill me. His reply was, "only for a little while."

Less Good:
Tyler: It was too Star Wars-y at end with two major story points that match the Original Star Wars. 1) The hot shot first time pilot saves the innocents from total destruction by hitting a small target on the death machine. And 2) "I'm your father." There were also heavy handed and on the nose story telling moments.
Sister: There were lots of really intense stares that were too long. Also lots overly dramatic one liners and awkward dialog.
Me: Again, I agree and agree. I would add there were some great characters who were under utilized.  And thinking about the trailer, I would have liked to see more city hunting. I was expecting more of the interactions between the "mortal engines"
The names of characters was hard to remember. There were huge chunks of the movie where I won't know the names of main characters. And it wasn't that names hadn't been given. They just didn't stick. I had my own names like "Evil Elrond" "The Kid" "Main Girl" etc. I would then hear the name and remember for a bit. This might have just been me, but after the movie we were talking and Tyler kept calling Hester (aka Main Girl) Esther. Which makes me think it wasn't just me.
Last issue, Shrike giving back the amulet felt more like a plot need and less true to the character. Oh, I forgot one, the pilot coat switch. It was laughable. l laughed out loud at a very serious moment.

Favorite Scenes/Lines
Tyler: The introduction sequence that explains the war and how this world beginning
Sister: Hestor and Shrikes confrontation, also the panning over the Mountains
Me: The whole food of the Ancients conversation. Seeing the Floating City, and everything with Anna Fang (aka Lady in Red Coat).

Favorite Character
Tyler: [he never decided]
Sister: Shrikes
Me: Anna Fang

Rating
Tyler: 4 USB drives out of 5
Sister: 3.9 red jackets out of 5
Me: 3.4 Floating Cities out of 5

Comments