Reviweing The Seven: 2018-19 Birthday Bucket List

My birthday is two months away. As that realization sunk in, it dawned on my I've ignored to the point of forgetting this years birthday bucket list. Until I found the original post I could not remember a single goal. This does not bode well for the success of this list.

I'm indenting the original guidelines, adding my thoughts on the progress, and going to give a success rating after. Here we go:

1. Explore Canada
I was in Nova Scotia recently and with the help of wonderful friends made sure to dip my feet in the Atlantic. Now to see the Pacific. There are adventures planned and I am excited. I am going to see things I have never seen before. Stay tuned there will be pictures.


The summer exploring was awesome! We went to the Yukon and Victoria Island. These were first for me. You can find more of the adventures here. And I got to explore the Capital a few times. Susi, her family, and I went to the Parliament Building, the library, and the Peace Tower this September. Then a few weeks ago The Jenn and I had fun in the Byward Market for Winterlude.
Rating: Victory!

2. Read Comics
More specifically, read the comics I own. I'm about two years behind on my collection. Last summer while in Nova Scotia, I picked up a year's worth of comics, mostly DC Rebirth titles. Beginning has been a daunting task. Maybe not, it is two short boxes worth of comics. Still I haven't started and I am still collecting two titles. With that in mind, from today on I am not buying any new trade paper backs or starting any new series until I've caught up. 
I read three of the books from the two books. And I bought 7 trade paper backs. Borrowed 6 graphic novels from the library. I almost feel guilty. But I really enjoyed the books I read. And I have read comics...just not the ones I planned on reading. I should count how many I have left to read. I'll share the number during the March Review.
Rating: Currently Failing.

3. Be Creative
There are a few different things this could mean: making cards, knitting, painting, all of the creatives. It could also be trying new hobbies, new skills, taking classes, exploring interests. I know I am in a good place when I am making and wanting to make. As I start to do one type of creative thing it spurs me on to do more. I have no specific tangible marker on what success will look like. Between the new watercolour painting and the finished socks this is already a successful year. The truth is just that more making is more better.
I took a small break from the watercolour painting when the move happened. But, I'm getting back into it and I added sketching to my life.
Rating: Weak Success.
4. Enjoy Life
I want to do more things that make me smile more or lead to me smiling more. The trip last week to Nova Scotia is a great example of the smiles. Watching over the top Korean dramas, different authors, and writing make me smile. I've also discovered workout sessions, while in and of themselves do not make me smile, I am more happy after. So enjoying life through smiles is the goal. And hand in hand accomplishing 4 of the 40 Before 40 goals will be a sure thing to make me smile.
Last week I watched a video on YouTube about loneliness.  It was really good and I highly recommend people watching it. I was considering the video and loneliness after and had a realization. I am really happy with my life. I am in a good place right now. I love my family and friends. I am doing things both professionally and in my downtime that I love. I am enjoying reading and being creative again. When I am alone I don't feel lonely. When I think of my people in Nova Scotia (which is still very often) I have fond memories and missing moments but it doesn't become a crippling sadness anymore. I am enjoying life. Even this morning I was cleaning up after our church's weekly prayer and I was pulling and "Elf" (making up a really song on the spot that wasn't great but made me smile).
Rating: Victory!

Part two is competing 4 of the 40 Before 40 goals. Which I completely forgot about. I'm currently working on 2, 3, 11, 12, 13, 15, 32, 33, 36, 37. I think there is a chance I could have four completed before April 26th, maybe.
Rating: Work in Progress

5. Write More
This could a sub-point under "Be Creative." Instead it gets its own place to shine. I think better when I journal, blog, and write stories. I find it strangely enjoyable and frustrating all at once. It is a hobby I have neglected because I don't ever think I'll be published. Yesterday I was listening to the Wednesday Club with their special guest Patrick Rothfuss. Rothfuss made this great case for writing being the only hobby that people belittle you if you don't become of professional. It was inspiring and beautiful. I wish I knew how to insert it here...but I don't. Know that it was enough to encourage me to write fiction again and forget about selling my manuscript. This year I hope to write something once a week on the blog, journal regularly, and work on some piece of fiction.
I wouldn't say I was actively working on this goal. I have been writing but not intentionally writing. Since there wasn't a specific tangible goal it is hard for me to define if this is a success. I have been blogging, some times even consistently. I haven't written any fiction but I have journaled some. I think most of my creative thinking is going into my weekly rpg games.
Rating: Currently Failing. 

6. Play Games
After Toronto Game Con (aka Break Out Con) I decided to decrease my game collection by ten percent. I made an excel document of all my games. Not including expansions there is 101 games. Over this next year I plan to play everything at least once, rate it, and remove the bottom scoring games. There are a lot of games that still need to be played. Thankfully I've found a games group and there is game con next year.
I found a games group and am regularly playing games again! It makes me so happy. I've played about 40% of my games. I won't get through everything before Game Con, but I have narrowed down between 8 and 12 games I could let go.
Rating: Weak Success.

7. Search for Unicorns
Have you heard my thoughts on "unicorns" other than they don't exist? Well, this year I am actually going to try and find one. This has also be referred to as Operation Boaz amount some of my Christian friends.
I have made only minium attempts. I did exchange emails earlier this year with someone but a relationship didn't form. I have looked at a few dating sites, I have yet to sign up.
Rating: Currently Failing.

Final Thoughts:
I am surprised how well most of the goals having been going. It has been a good year.

Comments

Janey said…
To help with #3 (be creative), check out what you can knit:
here: https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/tardis-miniature

Jane in NS