Sunday Sketches #1

Just after Christmas, in a moment of spontaneous creative inspiration I bought "300 Drawing Prompts" with the fill intent of drawing regularly. It was a nice dream. The reality has been the book sitting on my coffee table for weeks taunting me with its untouched pages.

Yesterday, while attempting to start an unrelated creative project, my good friend informed me I was a perfectionist. I wanted to argue ;there so many areas of my life that aren't perfect. The truth is she is absolutely right. For the project we were working on I need to create a large hexagon out of a 4x4 sheet of Styrofoam. There was a simple way to make an almost hexagon, which I refused for a much more complex method. No one else would care that the design wasn't a perfect hexagon. We went with the more labour intensive process because it mattered to me.

I enjoy being creative. I also like projects turning out the way I envision them.  I find it frustrating to have a mental picture that is beyond my drawing skills. On top of that, my limited skills aren't were they were in high school making it that much harder to measure up to my own standard. I never thought it through, but this might be a reason I've been avoiding a hobby I enjoy. My own perfectionism has robbed me of the chance to improve and be creative.

In an attempt to rebel against, my nature, here is the first two drawing prompts. Because bad art is better than no art.

The top is a weeping angel. I hate it and rushed it. The Dr Susses hat turned out a bit better, I did use a reference for the second on.

Comments