November's Look at the 40 While 40

I must begin with a confession: I am so far behind on my NaNoWriMo novel that my main character is going to read this blog post and be inspired to go do something adventurous. That way the words I am currently writing are not "wasted" writing time.

Writing a novel should have been my big focus of November; it is NaNoWriMo after all. However, I have not been feeling the writing vibes this year even thought I am attempting to participate. I have had autumn vibes, and active vibes, and for the past week festive-holiday vibes. Things are going well but writing has been low on the list of tasks. I got the few scenes of my story on paper in the first three days and I was out of steam. I had nothing left. Thankfully the birthday challenge as only to participate in NaNoWri not win. Next year, if I attempt this again I think I want to do a Christmas story about a mouse.

Interested in how the rest of the challenges are going? Keep reading:

Challenge Legend:
Black =have not started
Green =just started or have a plan
Blue =in progress and success is possible
Purple =VICTORY!

1. Go on a Spiritual Retreat.
The church leadership had a day of listening prayer. It was good but not the spiritual retreat I was planning so I think I will need to plan a time away in January or February.

2. Practice Sabbath Keeping 40 times.
We have had 27 days of Sabbath keeping this year. Well over half way there. I like how we have been avoiding work and shopping on Sundays. I think the next development for me to find ways to make Sunday more restorative and refreshing. Like some many things worth doing this is a journey. What we are doing is good and there are new ways we can make the day a richer experience.

3. Finish reading through the Bible.
I have not been using the YouBible app as much so I keep forgetting to listen to the one year study I started in 2020. I have 147 days left to read (that is only one "day" since the last check in).

4. Write 40 sermons/sermon outlines.
I've spoken in church five times this year. I have a sermon coming up in two Sunday and one in January. This means there are still 33 sermons left to write.

5. Memorize 40 new Scripture verses.
I have memorized 24 new verses since my birthday.

6. Master the Charleston dance.
I haven't worked on the the dance since June. I have plans to add daily dance to the third phase of the 15 week challenge.

7. Walk to Lothlorien (virtually with the Walk to Mordor app).
We are "nine days" away from Rivendell. The next big milestone "Doors of Moria" (only 296.82 km away) with a seven smaller stops before hand. For the big goal of Lothlorien, we are 71.76% of the way (388.55 km to go). 

8. Walk a virtual walk of the Cabot Trail.
We have finished the 299.4km goal on July 28! And finished the Ring of Kerry and are now working on North Coast walk of Scotland. 

9. Complete a virtual Mount Fuji climb.
We are going to be starting the Fuji climb in December or January (depending on when we start our gym membership).

10. Go on a 15km+ Hike.
We did not go to a provincial park this month for the big hike. I was sick and in bed the days we had set for the trek. We're debating if we snowshoe or cross country ski the distance or just wait till April to walk in the muck.

11. Reach my XBX level. (Which is Level 22)
Began level 12 yesterday. Having XBX as part of the 15 week challenge has helped me maintain my focus on this goal. Next week I am going to move up to Chart 2.

12. Sleep in a tent or under the stars and/or take a road trip someplace Alex and I have never been.
We went to camping in Fort Frances. It was a three day road trip there with seven days of tenting and a four day road trip back. We also visited seven provincial parks along the way.

13. Read 40 Books.  
I have finished 20 books. I'm feeling more confident about completely this challenge. We have set up a cozy reading corner in our space and I'm looking forward to reading the remaining twenty books this winter curled up with a blanket and a cup of tea near by.

14. Make a Dopa menu.
I have done more research, rewatched the original How to ADHD video that inspired this goal. And I've played with menu templates in Canva.

15. Make Origami Animals.
We made origami foxes. There have been no new animals yet but I think we are going to make some during December and probably more over the Christmas break.

16. Colour in my giant colouring book.
I don't know if this is done or not. The book has been coloured in but none of the picture are complete. I think I originally thought we'd just finish every page for it to count and if that is the win condition there is still a long ways to go. I might get some young humans to help me with the project.

17. Work on my many scrapbook projects.
This is a noble challenge. It feels like a winter project so it is still on hold to even get started.

18. Send out Thank you cards.
Hoping to send out the cards before December 2. Maybe closer to the 10th.

19. Create a Christmas Card mailing list and SEND cards.
I should get to work on this. Christmas is coming. 

20. Host a Twelfth night party
I'm getting so excited for this one. A Twelfth Night party is a Christmas party that wraps up the festive season. It happens on the last day of the 12 Days of Christmas, January 5th. It was a very popular event in England till Queen Victoria thought it was too wild and rowdy and removed it from the officially sanctioned calendar of holidays. 

We have a rough guest list. In truth it is too long for our space but we want to have everyone over. It will have to be paired down. I've almost been reading into what some of the Twelfth night traditions were. We won't be keeping to the old ways but they are inspiring some of our plans. We're going to have our own version of the Twelfth Night cake including "the bean" and other yummy treats. I think we are going have some party games and space for people to puzzle or mingle. 

21. Create a Year of Memories using 1 second video.
Still taking videos but as I said last month, it has been a struggle to upload them. The hardest for me is finding out I missed capturing the moment for a few days (or a week). I like the idea but right now it is a discouraging chore that I'm letting pile up like dirty dishes.  

22. Make the “Curse Breaker” sword from Onward.
This is going to be a winter project.

23. Complete one new cosplay.
I found a white sweater that will work. It was a great thrift store find. The only way I could get a better cable would be to pause the movie on her shirt and try and make a cable pattern based on the animated sweater. 

The last items I need now are: a blue wig, blue tights (to make arm gloves), and maybe purple shoes but I could get away with my blue runners.

24. Try contact lens.

25. Try all of Baskin Robins Flavours of the Month.
November flavour might be the end of this challenge. We have gone to two different Baskin Robins could not find the flavour. November 5th we went to our first shop and the said they had already gone thought the flavour and probably wouldn't get more. November 11th we went to a different location and the works there said they hadn't received the flavour. There are only four days left in the month and I don't know if we'll find it in time.

26. Stream Zelda Windwaker on Twitch.
We finished Winderwaker. It was very fun so I have kept streaming. At the moment I'm working through Pikmin 2. 

27. Journal Everyday.
The writing has continued. Still enjoying the journal.

28. Make a gnome home.
There have been a number of dead trees cut down this fall. Alex and I are going to make gnome home props (windows and doors) over the winter and set them up in early spring.

29. Sew a dress or a circle skirt.
I have found some free patterns. I need to print the patterns and wash the fabric.

30. Paint the Humblewood miniatures.
We have the minis, the paints, and the brushes. And they have been primed.

31. Make a D&D character journal/binder.
The transition to the binder has been on hold due to NaNoWriMo. However I plan to work on it over Christmas break.

32. GM at a convention.
I am registered for a game convention that will hopefully happen in March 2022.

33. Play 40 different board games.
We have played 37 different board since my birthday.  This might be done next month. Not that that means the end of board games.

34. Complete all the Escape quests.
We have completed six challenges.

35. Finish Season One of Pandemic Legacy.
Probably going to start playing again over Christmas break.

36. Truly participate in NaNoWriMo 2021.
As I have mentioned, I am in the midst of NaNoWriMo. I have only written 12,000ish words and without a few 10+k days probably won't "win". But I signed up and attempted and that meets the challenge requirements. I also learned the story idea really wasn't enough to make a novel. It was only a short story.

37. Try a Capsule Wardrobe for 40 Days.
I'm in the midst of using a capsule wardrobe. I started on the November10th and will go through December 20th. I love my autumn wardrobe and how well most pieces miss and match. I think on December first I am going to switch a few pieces that are very autumn out for more winter or festive clothes. Would you like to see my items and how I've been making different looks? It might be a fun blog project but not till after NaNoWriMo. 

38. Finish the Sweater.
I cast off the ribbing on the main body and have now started working on the sleeves.

39. Finish the Dice Bags.
I'm going to have these done before Christmas.

40. Paint the Canvas.
I am resolved the canvas will be painted this year, even if it is just finger painting with friends on April 25th, this is the last year "Paint Canvas" is going to be on a birthday challenge list. To help with this goal I have bought some specific acrylic paints, brushes, and seven smaller canvases to practice the technique I want to try in January.

The Bonus/Back-Up Challenges:
Disneybound five times: Two outfits done: Moana and Ariel.
Have an picnic outdoors: Alex and I had a number of picnics this summer. It was delightful.
Take care of my purple wig
Marie Kondo my stuff
Make a flower crown

Final Thoughts:
1) There are a lot of challenges waiting for "winter". I hope I haven't left to much for the end of the birthday year. At least there are still five months left to get everything done.
2) I really need to get back to writing.


Comments