Half Way There: The 42 While 42 Birthday Challenge

Today is half through my 42nd year. It is the perfect time to review this year's birthday challenge (which was introduced a month ago).

This year's challenge is 42 While 42. The goal is to complete as many of the following 42 goals by 11:59 on the eve of my birthday, April 25, 2024.

Challenge Legend:
Black =have not started
Green =just started or have a plan
Blue =in progress and success is possible
Purple =VICTORY!

New Adventures:

1. Live somewhere new

We moved to Kingston!


2. Lead a group inductive Bible Study

It's happening now. I'm leading a group through the Book of Mark

3. Survive Hebrew Expository 1 (Fall 2023)

I'm in the course right now.

4. Survive Hebrew Expository 2 (Winter 2024)

I'm registered with all intention of completing the course.

5. Translate Ruth from Hebrew into English

This is a work in progress, it is also one of the assignments for Hebrew Expository so it will get done. I'm thinking about sharing my translation on the blog. Would that interest anyone? It would be a few verses at a time either daily or once a week.

6. Continue Sabbath keeping

This has been a recent challenge. The move has unsettled our rhythms. Sunday after church till lunch Mondays worked for us at our former home. This doesn't match with the new schedule and responsibilities so we are finding new ways to keep resting and refreshing weekly.

7. Be thankful

The two key ways I am being thankful is daily journaling and the weekly Thankful Thursday posts found here.

8. Keep up with my 5 year journal

Alex gave me this beautiful five year journal for my 40th birthday. I love it. I like being able to look at a date and see what was happening in the previous years. However, I have been so sporadic with the journaling this year. At first it was school assignments, then the strain of grief, now I'm just out of practice. I am a bit disappointed in myself. It is very strange to feel guilt over a hobby.

9. Explore a new city

Alex and I have been having a great time getting to know our new city. We were given tickets to a boat and a trolley tour as well. There are still new places to discover but I feel like we've accomplished this one.

10. Cosplay with Alex

Alex and I went to Ottawa Comic Con this year as Shaggy and Velma from Scooby-Doo.

  

11. Try a new experience

We went hiking with goats. It was a delightful experience.

 

12. Prepare a ballroom floor show

I'm not sure if this will ever happen. We haven't been dancing regularly because our ballroom lessons are in Ottawa (2hrs away) and we haven't found somewhere local that does ballroom dancing. 

13. Going mini golfing

Not sure when this will happen but I have six months.

14. Visit a zoo or aquarium

We did both this month!

 

 

15. Sew a dress

I have a pattern, the fabric, the notions, and a machine. Now I just need to make the time.

Seasonal Adventures:

Spring

16. Celebrate Happy Duck Day (March 25th)

Happy Duck Day was a celebration Alex and I created in 2020. It brought joy to a grey month. Looking forward to splashing in puddles with Alex this coming March and a few other of our traditions.

17. Paint Easter eggs

I can't remember the last time I decorated eggs. I really want to do something special this coming Easter.

18. Hike a new trail

We did a number of new hikes this summer. I know it was a "spring" activity but it counts for the challenge.

19. Attend the Tulip Festive

We saw a few beds this year on Mother's Day.


20. Visit an outdoor farmer’s market

I love farmer's markets. We went to a few different markets. It is always a joy. And we found such yummy foods.

Summer

21. Picnic in a park

We had a delightful day with my parents!

22. Visit a new provincial park

I went to two different provincial parks I had never visited before.

23. Go on a boat ride

The boat tour had us on a boat


24. Watch fireworks

I was so sick July 1st. I missed all the fun we had planned. Slept through the family BBQ, but felt well enough to sit for the Canada Day fireworks.

25. Run my last Day Camp (VBS)

This summer we ran Monumental as our day camp, it seems like it will be the last time I am the camp director. I've been in full-time church ministry for 17 years. A majority of that time I've been leading children's ministries including the big summer programs like days camps, backyard clubs, or VBS. It has been a huge part of my life. With the transition to lead pastor I am passing the role on to others. I may participate in future summer kids programs but it is unlikely to be in the same way.

Autumn

26. Decorate for autumn

27. Host Thanksgiving

This thanksgiving we hosted my parents and my sister for a delicious turkey feast. My parents brought smoked turkey and ham, while Alex and I made the vegetables.  Everyone enjoyed the meal and the decorations.

28. Watch Over the Garden Wall

Over the Garden Wall is a semi spooky animated series with ten episodes. It is quirky and charming and not what I expected it to be. Alex and I watched it our first autumn married and we've watched every year since. This year we've made arrangements to watch it with people three times and it has fallen apart every time. Right now I'm thinking we'll just watch it the two of us on October 31st.  

29. Have an autumnal adventure

We recently visited, Wynn Farms, which is very close to our city. There is a corn maze and apple picking every year.  Alex and I successfully traversed the maze and then split a candy apple and caramel apple.

 
30. Go on a ghost walk or tour

I forgot about this challenge until just now. I am looking up to see if it is too late to book something for this weekend.

Winter

31. Send Christmas Cards

I want to be someone who sends cards. I love making cards. I love giving cards. I struggle to put the dream into action. I have cards. I have friends. Now to make those things go together. This is another place where my hobby gives me guilt, pressure, and stress. This could be a year that things change?

32. Attend the Nutcracker Ballet

The tickets are bought! 

33. Go Christmas Caroling

There are dates already scheduled. There is someone in my church who is very passionate about caroling. It means I can participate without needing to coordinate.

34. Make a hearty winter soup

I've been looking at recipe books. 

35. Participate in an outdoor winter sport

I'd like to go snowshoeing or cross country skiing but right now that is as far as the planning has gotten.

Missed Adventures:

My first birthday challenge was created in 2006. I find the whole process a lot of fun from dreaming up the list of challenges to celebrating a completed goals. These challenges have enabled me to finish a number of things I've wanted try but probably never would have without a deadline and the month updates that kept ideas in front of me. 

However, I have never complete all the challenges in a year. There are always things I just did not get to or situations made it impossible. Often my budget did not allow for the activity. The following seven spaces have been intentionally left blank. I am going to use them to complete any of those forgotten challenges that still interest me.

I am not sure what activities will fill these spaces yet. I have a few goals from recent lists that I would like a second chance to complete. But I think my next step for these seven challenges is to make a list of all the incomplete or forgotten goals. 

36. ?

37. ?

38. ?

39. ?

40. ?

41. ?

42. ?

Conclusion:


So that is the state of the challenge. I have mixed feelings. I am happy that it is going well. It could be better. It would have been better to have 50% of the challenges completed. The upside is there is almost 30% in the works. The biggest challenge will be the finishing some of the missed adventures. The next review will be in January.

Comments