The 42 While 42 Birthday Challenge: March

.

I had three realizations today:

1) I did not write an birthday challenge update yesterday.

2) There are only 30 days left in the challenge.

3) Alex and I need to figure out a new location for the annual Birthday Sunrise Picture.

There is a lot to sort out in the next few weeks. Let's see how the challenge is going:

Challenge Legend:
Black =have not started
Green =just started or have a plan
Blue =in progress and success is possible
Purple =VICTORY!

New Adventures:

1. Live somewhere new

2. Lead a group inductive Bible Study

3. Survive Hebrew Expository 1 (Fall 2023)

4. Survive Hebrew Expository 2 (Winter 2024)

The last four assignments are all due April 1st. They are memorize Psalm 23 in Hebrew (I can recite the first two verses), the completed homework log, the completed Reading In Biblical Hebrew workbook, and 12 weeks of Hebrew translation. Then I have two weeks to review for the exam on April 15th.

5. Translate Ruth from Hebrew into English

6. Continue Sabbath keeping

You may remember from last month's update that I was changing my day off. It has helped. I am finding new habits and rhythms that have been helping keep a practice of resting part of my life. I've come to recognize that there will always be new challenges to stopping. Rest and be refreshed are not the natural patterns, and even when there has been a pattern that works, life changes for the demands of the church calendar will require me to regular evaluate if what was working is still working.

7. Be thankful

I am thankful, I am forgetful for writing it down and blogging the things for which I am grateful. But I would say it has been a year of being thankful.

8. Keep up with my 5 year journal

I was almost all caught up and then missed a week this month while I was getting a paper finished. I do think that I will be all caught up by April 25th.

9. Explore a new city

10. Cosplay with Alex

11. Try a new experience

12. Learn to Play the Ukulele/100 Days of Ukulele Practice 

Yesterday was day 80 of my ukulele journey. I am still loving the instrument. Somedays are smoother than others. This past week I haven't felt like I'm improving but I keep reminding myself, practice makes progress.

13. Going mini golfing

We went with friends this past Friday! We had a blast; and I got a hole-in-one!

 

14. Visit a zoo or aquarium

15. Sew a dress

I've read the pattern, have the fabric, the notions, and a machine. Now I just need to make the time. I hope this will happen after my exams. 

Seasonal Adventures:

Spring

16. Celebrate Happy Duck Day (March 25th)

Happy Duck Day was a celebration Alex and I created in 2020. There were no puddles to splash in with my new rubber boots. We still had a wonderful day. We kept the traditions alive with a walk, yellow tulips, and a spring salad.

 

17. Paint Easter eggs

I can't remember the last time I decorated eggs. I really want to do something special this coming Easter.

18. Hike a new trail

19. Attend the Tulip Festive

20. Visit an outdoor farmer’s market

Summer

21. Picnic in a park

22. Visit a new provincial park

23. Go on a boat ride

24. Watch fireworks

25. Run my last Day Camp (VBS)

Autumn

26. Decorate for autumn

27. Host Thanksgiving

28. Watch Over the Garden Wall

29. Have an autumnal adventure

30. Go on a ghost walk or tour

Winter

31. Send Christmas Cards

32. Attend the Nutcracker Ballet

33. Go Christmas Caroling

34. Make a hearty winter soup

We made gluten free potato leek soup tonight!

The leeks made me cry, you can't quiet tell in the picture.

 

35. Participate in an outdoor winter sport

It just could not happen this year; between the unseasonably warm weather and our schedule we were not able to try any of the winter activities we had planned. Unless you count a 20 minutes walk during a snowy night. 

Missed Adventures:

I apologize if my past explanations of these next seven challenge goals has been confusing or frustrating. These spaces have been intentionally left vacant to give myself a second chance to complete any previously missed birthday challenges. I've been attempting these yearly challenges since 2006;  there have been over 40 challenges that were never completed. 

There were never specific goals intended to go in these slots. Rather, I had hoped to give myself the opportunity to review and try the ones that interest me the most. When one was completed, then it would be added. It was a sort of Schrödinger's cat situation. Each open space was any one of the challenges and equally none of the goals...until it was the goal that was finished.

I have started on three working on three of the challenges, so I'm adding them in now to show the progress, however if anyone is not completed before April 25th another missed challenge could take it's place.

36. Paint the Canvas

I have all the paints, I just need a subject and time.

37. Make a Travel Scrapbook

I pulled out my scrapbooking supplies this past weekend. I just cannot focus on the project till after Hebrew is done.

38. Disneybound for a Week

I think I have three solid outfits planned (Ariel, Mickey, and Moana). If I finish skirt/dress required for goal 15 then I will have two more (Snow White and Belle). I have an idea for Aurora that I think will work. It is the last outfit that will be the biggest challenge. I have a number of green clothes but none are really right for Peter Pan, Tinker Bell, or Tiana. I might be able to make it work in a pinch but again aren't the best match. I have a skirt that would work for Tangled, but not the purple to match. And there is a cute Tea Party outfit I love that is very Alice in Wonderland but not really a Disney bound.

39. 

40. 

41.

42. 

Conclusion:


This is a good improvement over last month. I do enjoy seeing progress. I expect to finish nine more challenges over the next 30 days. This had been a good year for the goals. It has me very motivated. I'm already thinking up the plan for the next Birthday Challenge. 

Comments