Monday, March 06, 2006

Frivolous Tale of Woe

The other night I was relaxing, just watching the end of Proof of Life. I had rented it and two others some time earlier. As I sat I started to question myself, when exactly were the movies rented? Checked the receipt. The store I rent from puts the due date on the bill, it’s a handy feature for those scatter-brained and forgetful types (I admit to falling into that classification). Moment of panic: they movies were due that night -by 1am. Check the clock –that’s only 15 minutes away. An inner battle raged to make the deadline or not bother. The thought of the late fees encouraged me to go. Then I considered the hour. It was late therefore dark. I’d have to watch the streets alone. I was dressed for bed. It was cold outside (but not as cold as Canada). Then I though about the cost again. The late fees would have been about $8 for my two DVDs and one VHS. The price turned the tide. I scrambled around put jeans over my PJs, slipped into boots without even bothering to find socks. Nine minutes till 1. I could make it if ran. So run I did…mixed with some fast walking. The whole time my mind is telling me "you’re not going to make it, you’re not going to make it". I was wrong I did make it. Success! Oh, joy of joys, it was worth the outing I think as I catch my breath. Then tragedy and woe: all the cases were there, the two DVDs were nicely in their cases but I had left the VHS at the apartment still in the machine. Oh the silly things I do.

The next day my feet let me know that it is a very silly thing to run around in boots without socks. I have blisters on both my feet. So commitment to run for lent has been put on hold till my feet feel up to the task.

2 comments:

Missy said...

oh Liz, you make me laugh. :-)

matthew said...

u funny