Is the glass half full or the glass half empty?

Six months ago today I turned a quarter century. This is my 25th half birthday (meaning its John Sherwood’s real birthday if anyone sees him wish him a happy birthday). For this year I set some goals and challenges. Just a few random (pickles) things I hoped to accomplish this year. I realised that I might not complete all 25 but they were there to motivate me. This is the update on how things are going:

Challenges To Do (and excuses why they aren’t done):

1 Dye my hair blue
-Not really sure how to make that happen, working for a church I could see blue hair being an issue. Maybe some reward for fundraising or something. But I sadly think it won’t be happening. I will have to let the dream go.
2 Jump out of an airplane
-There is a place in Halifax, cost is reasonable but even with that its it might not fit in the budget. Another dream for another day?
4 Learn to snowboard
-Friends want to take me once there is snow.
5 Run a half marathon, which is huge cause I’ve never ran more then 6km
-I ran a km last wee. It was rough. I don’t see this happening this year.
6 Learn how to make 25 new dishes/meals
-To date I’ve tried nine new recipes; four has been in the last month. I could see reaching this goal before the year is out.
7 Fly a kite
-Um….not sure about this one. I need to get a kite.
8 Know/memorise/ really understand 6 biblical passages.
-I’ve been looking at different verses of the year. It wasn’t what I had planned but I think I know more then I did six months ago so I think it’s a success. Not sure what to really do with the goal.
10 Make a snowman with my sister
-Hoping to make it home for Christmas, if so Frosty will be part of the celebrations.
13 Finally put to paper the stories I tell my sister, that’s right Pogo fans the stories maybe immortalised at last
-Still procrastinating. I’d like to give Lee-Ann the stories for Christmas. So I need to get going.
14 Draw 12 pictures, one a month
-I’ve completed three drawings. Meaning nine to go.
16 Climb a tree
-I have none in mind. Maybe I should just do it this weekend.
21 Take a college class
-In the process of signing up for a fun world of His and Dis. Yeah!
23. Have 25 meaningful conversations about God
-A total of eight meaningful talks about God.
24 Do a really challenging puzzle
-I have the puzzle just need to set up a space for it.
25 Host one of those murder mystery dinner parties

Challenges Completed:
3 Climb a mountain
9 Take a long road trip
11 Finish the Simiarilion
12 Have a garden
15 Make some huge castle fort out of Lego
17 Go on an over night hiking trip
18 Take my mom out for a special dinner
19 Visit a city I’ve never been to before
20 Go bowling
22 Watch a play

10 down 15 to go.
A very merry unbirthday to you all!

Comments

Amy said…
Liz, I'd run with the blue-hair-dye-as-an-incentive-for-fundraising idea. When I was in Brother's Keeper, we spent a week at my home camp and a husband-wife counselor team made a challenge. The goal was to raise money for missions, so there were two containers. If you wanted Greg to shave his legs, you put money in his container, and if you wanted Karen to dye her hair pink, you put money in her container. So all week the kids were coming up with money-raising ideas to put money in the container they wanted to happen--because only the one with the most money would actually do the outrageous thing. It was a smashing success--we raised over $800 for missions in less than a week.

If you want more new recipes to try, shoot me an email--I am all about trying new recipes :)
Combs said…
Congrates on completing what you have. Keep pluggin, you'll make it. If I get a chance to travel and ski this winter I'll see if I can't swing up your way and bring my kite. It's been awhile but it needs a good workout. I definatly hear you on jumping out of an airplane. I've been trying to do that since my first senior year. Talk to you soon.
A.T.H.
Anonymous said…
Hey Cuz,

Looking over the list of things yet to be done, the "Blue Hair" sticks out the most to me. Hallowe'en is in a few days, you could dye the tips or streak it BLUE, get some leggings, a streched ripped sweatshirt and some hoop earings and be an 80's punk teen. Like Cyndi Lauper http://www.cyndi-lauper.com/cyndi.jpg not a great pic but blue hair. Or even some cute crazy anime girl. I know there are temporary dyes/gels/sprays that'll wash out in a few washes so it doesn't have to be completely permanent.

Hallowe'en is a great excuse to do fun and silly things. My hair will most likely be RED that day.

William.
Anonymous said…
Liz there is lots of time to complete the list. I won't be there to help with jumping out of a plane but you go girl. Love Aunt Sharon