Into The Water

Last week I asked the students to write down questions and doubts they had about God, Jesus and the church. Over the next few weeks we are going to look at a few of the themes they brought up. Tomorrow we’re going to look at the first of their questions. The student asked, "why is it good to get baptised when one is a Christian?"

Since the subject was fresh on my mind, I brought the topic up with a friend. She was baptised as an infant and doesn’t see the point of ever getting re-baptised now. People know she is a Christian and her life is the testimony. She added that if someone had explained the importance in the first years after she accepted Christ than maybe but not now she was baptised as a child and that is enough.

The conversation was longer than that and she made good arguments. But…there is always a but, I think adult baptism is important. Isn’t it an outward, visible sign of the inward change? What do you think and how would you respond to the students?

Comments

matthew said…
I think in your friend's case, there is no need to be re-baptized if it is clearly evident that she's a christian.

But I can tell you my story. I was baptized as a baby too in the United Methodist church. But when I seriously began to follow Christ at 17, I had a desire to be baptized again as a profession of faith.