So You Think You Can Dance: Top 11

Summer is here bringing sun, BBQs, and the return of So You Think You Can Dance (I didn’t watch the fall season). The past three weeks have been the auditions and Vegas week. They narrowed it down to the top 11 dance, five girls and six guys. The dancers are being paired with past seasons “all-stars.” So far I am not a big fan of the change. Last night as the first dance night, there was the same issue in almost all the routins. The dancers got the steps beautifully and the technic was great but there was something missing in the translation of character/story and emotions. This is my ranking:

1. Alex –Contemporary: My favorite of the night. It was beautiful and elegant and the best of the group. I don’t agree to the extreme praise the judges gave that it was the best ever. But I wasn’t there and there is something to be said for atmosphere that doesn’t translate through the TV.

2. Kent –Cha Cha: He’s my favorite dancer. The dance was super cute and seemed the hit the song. I thought he did good added character to the moves.

3. Robert –African Jazz: I loved this piece. It was so fun to watch. I agree with the judges Roberts going to be a dark horse. I didn’t remember him from the audition shows and was surprised he made it to the last cut but I am glad he did.

4. Jose –Hip Hop: I love when Bboys make it on the show. Jose shone. It was fun.

5. Ashley –Contemporary: I liked this, but I am not sure if it was her as a dancer or because I like contemporary and the return of Neil. Of the girls it was my favorite dance.

6. Billy –Broadway: It was fast and the steps were great but there was something missing.

7. Melinda –Jive: She had a great smile high proformance which hid the weaker steps (or that’s what the judges said). I thought it was fun but something was missing.

8. Christina –Jazz: it was a Sonya piece so it was dark and interesting but it just was.
My Bottom Three:
Lauren –Pop-jazz
Alexie –Hip Hop
AdeChike –Jazz

All of these were good but not great. The steps were there but the emotions and personality just weren’t. I actually felt that about most of the dances. Some of the ones I did like (Alexie’s Hip Hop) was more because of who the All-Star was. I think Alexie might be in the most danger.
For the season I think the guys are going to last longer and Alex, Kent, and Robert will be in the top.

Comments