Advent 2011: Peace

Have you ever needed a Christmas tree decorated quickly? I have a solution -relay race. Yes, a massive tree decorating relay race with 24 children. It is chaotic but hilarious to watch. The kids loved the game Sunday and the aesthetic results are decent(minus a child being accidentally & temporarily being tied/tangled to a tree with garland).

Standing in the middle of a blur of children, lights, ornaments, filled me with joy and peace...which is crazy. December has become associated with same same rush and pressure the kids were under in the race. It is all hustle and bustle. There are gifts to buy, food to prepare, cards to send, trees to trim, halls to deck, and so many events to attend. There are concerts, parades, musicals, special services, office parties, club parties, cookie exchanges, craft days and community celebrations. It is to do list is worst if you are volunteering or involved in behind the scenes because you have added meetings, rehearsals, practices, preparations, setting up, recruiting helpers, and clean up. I love the season but it can get a little overwhelming. Christmas can be chaotic.

The first sermon I ever wrote was about living at peace in the midst of chaos. I looked at Matthew 11:28-30, “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” (Matthew 11:28-30). True peace is not the absence of chaos but the discovering of how to be at rest in the midst of storms. I have a great story that goes with this...but I can't find it. I believe it is by Katherine Marshall but that doesn't help. I'm not going to stress about it, I'm going to go eat supper.

This past Sunday we lit the candle of Peace.

For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called
Wonderful Counselor,
Mighty God,
Everlasting Father,
Prince of Peace.
-Isaiah 9:6

Comments