Friend Movie Review: Avengers Endgame

We saw Endgame.

Much like Endgame, with it's extra large cast, this review has the most friends participation yet.  After the movie we went to Tim's to fill out review cards I had made; it was the only way I could image being able to getting everyone's thoughts. It was the perfect birthday celebration.

Warning...there are MAJOR MOVIE SPOILERS AHEAD. Do not continue reading if haven't seen the movie and want to remain clueless. If you just want to know what we think: it was good, we loved the movie, we all want to see it again, and recommend it for MCU fans. I did see a comment today of Facebook from a friend who saw it with her son. She hadn't seen many of the previous movie and didn't see what the big deal is or that there was much story to the movie. So, maybe not a movie to walk into without seeing the earlier movies.

Going to put this here so anyone who want to avoid spoiler can have some space:


 If haven't seen the movie and want to be in the know keep reading.  AGAIN...MAJOR MOVIE SPOILERS AHEAD. You have been warned.

The Good:
Susi: Thanos getting dusted and the world being put back together.
Stuart: Most of it
Boy -Age 10:  The cheese
Jonathan: Humour
Michael: Captain America not only able to lift Mjoinir but he could wheeled it. Falcon taking up the mantel and legacy of Captain America at the end. Captain Mavel's haircut [it was the look I was excepting in her movie]. And Professor Hulk.
Louise: Lebowski Thor. Captain America with Mjoiner. Iron Man with the Infinity Stones. The conflict enhancing choice of having Thanos hack Nebula to discover the future heroes past and plans.
Boy -Age 7: Thanos dusted
Kate: All of the movie...all of it!
Brendan: Everything!
Me: This was beyond enjoyable for me. It was, for me, the perfect pay-off and conclusion of the twenty-two films. It upheld the past, set-up the future, and made a great viewing story in the process. Through out the movie I was thinking, hey this is the greatest thing they won't be able to top...wait, no this is the greatest thing they won't...It just kept getting better.  The five year time jump was a great solution. It does mean, the rat actual saved the universe. No one thanks the rat for saving Scott Lang. I was not expecting anything that happened and it exceeded my hopes. Even when they made me cry it was good. The pacing felt right, the tone, the imagery. It was just so good.

The Less Than Good:
Susi: We sat in the front row [there were eleven of us and sadly plans didn't go as smoothly as hoped and we didn't end up all sitting together] Because of how close I was to the screen there were scenes that were hard to see and comprehend what was happening. I missed a lot. The movie seemed long but that might have more to do with where I was located and the headache that caused. Also, there was no end credit.
Stuart: Time paradox. The logistics of bring half the population back after 5 years. So much has happened...there are so many questions.
Boy -Age 10: Trying to piece together what happened [was also sitting in the front row]
Jonathan: Too much in the battle scene [also in the front row...which might be a factor]
Michael: There was too little of Captain Marvel. It was a bit too goofy and jokey at times. They relied to heavly on the Lebowski shtick.
Louise: The death of Black Widow, not enough Star Lord, and no end credit scene.
Boy -Age 7: When Hulk got really damaged; he's my second favourite.
Kate: ---
Brendan: Nothing
Me: The less than goods that I have are too insignificant to distract from the movie or to even mention. For example, I loved that Cap got a life with Peggy. It was very satisfiying, except then my head jumped to "but want about Daniel Sousa (from the show Agent Carter)?" I do agree with Stuart, the solutions raise questions. For me the big one was "so did what happened with Loki and the Tesseract?" Is that how he had it in Infinity War...and if not then how...and how did they capture Loki again...and won't those actions change the timeline. There might be more things I dislike after watching it again. I plan to review again with Sister after we see it again.

Favourite Moment/Scene/Quote:
Susi: I have a few... "America's Ass," "Who's never been to space (waits for hands to raise) don't throw up in my ship," the Tony and Howard scene, Thanos getting dusted
Stuart: Captain America summoning Mjoinir and Tony Stark getting the stones and snapping = dusting Thanos
Boy -Age 10:  "What happened?" [Thor has just killed Thanos by beheading him] "I went for the head" -Thor
Jonathan: Spiderman hugging Ironman
Michael: "I...Am...Iron Man" -Tony Stark, the giant battle scene, "Hail Hydra" -Cap
Louise: All the portals opening up for the final battle
Boy -Age 7: Thanos dusted
Kate: "I've got the axe" all the time travel references, and Thor joining the Guardians
Brendan:"I...Am...Iron Man"
Me: "Avengers Assemble"

Favourite Character:
Susi: Fat Thor
Stuart: Fat Thor
Boy -Age 10: Tony's Daughter
Jonathan: Rocket
Michael: Scott Lang
Louise: Tony Stark or Nebula
Boy -Age 7: Spiderman
Kate: Ant Man, Scarlet Witch, Dr Strange
Brendan: Tony Stark
Me: The rat that saved the universe...okay, not really. This is the question I ask every Avengers movie and every time I avoid choosing. Each one makes the movie better. I loved Hawkeye being awesome, and Black Widow, Rocket being awesome, Nebula, and of course Tony was perfect...but I think my favourite was Cap.

Rating:
Susi: 3.5 tesseracts out of 5
Stuart: 3.75 dusted enemies out of 5
Boy -Age 10: 4 Infinity Gauntlets out of 5
Jonathan: 4 dust flowers out of 5
Michael: 4.5 universe saving rats out of 5
Louise: 5 Infinity Stones out of 5
Boy -Age 7: 3 tiny heroes out of 5
Kate: 5 magical portals out of 5
Brendan: 5 snaps out of 5
Me: 5 returned heroes out of 5

Comments