Goodbye 37!

This is it, the last hours as a 37 year old. We're celebrating the end of a good year with jalapeno poppers and blogging because writing is good for my soul and poppers are delicious. I am so thankful that Pastor Thomas and Amy-Beth shared their recipe with me. They bring much goodness to my life.

So the year started with this "sunrise" photo from last year (the forecast predicts this year's early morning photo will be just as wet.) The rain didn't dampen the day or the year. It was full of adventures, road trips, new experiences, new friends, hugs and bonding with dear friends, and much joy.

A few highlights from the year:

Avengers: Infinity War on last year's birthday

Attempted a new cosplay
Kaylee from Firefly

 


 

Went hiking with friends


Went home for a weekend

and went to Breakout Con but failed to take a single picture.

It was a wonderfully blessed year. Here's the last look at this past year's birthday-bucket list.

1. Explore Canada
Through the goodness over others I about to visit both the East and West Coast this year. I loved my limited time in Nova Scotia. The profound joy of seeing friends was beautiful, Dr. Horrible had a PhD in horribleness, a live concert, and a dip in the Bay of Fundy. Also I met a sheep.


 

Then weeks later as part of the epic fam jam we were in the Yukon and Victoria.

And I got to explore the Capital a few times. Susi, her family, and I went to the Parliament Building, the library, and the Peace Tower this September.
 


Mom and I visited the Byward Market, and when The Jenn visited we the Winterlude ice sculptures.

 
Rating: Victory!

2. Read Comics
Before working at the comic shop in 2015-16 I liked the idea of comics, I just didn't read any. When I started working there I was focused on board games and had no intention of buying or collecting any comics. By the time I left I had 8 titles I was reading monthly. Then because of weird life stuff, my subscription box stayed open for a year (buying a year's worth of comics at once is painful, I do not recommend). The goal this year was to catch-up. I did not.

I have read comics, but mostly TPs, and mostly Saga, with some Mighty Thor, Titans, Teen Titans, and Nightwing, but mostly Saga. I did read the Rebirth one shot finally and the first Rebirth Aquaman. I've also limited my current collecting to three titles. Every time I'm in my shop I want to add more. 
Rating: Currently Failing.

3. Be Creative
I've been overwhelmed the past few months, it has had an effect on my desire to create. I haven't been journaling, blogging, painting, knitting, or sketching since the move. I was going to give me a failure for those reasons. Yet I think I'm being to hard on myself. I painted the parasol for the Kaylee cosplay, I took up water colour painting, written sermons, blogged when I could, and have poured a great amount of my fantasy ideas into the development of my D&D world. I haven't been creative in the way that i had planned, but I have been creative.
Rating: Weak Success.

4. Enjoy Life
As I just said, there has been some stress and grief in my life recently. But that isn't the whole story. The situations are causing me to communicate and problem solve. There are friends helping and supporting me. I had a really encouraging chat with a new friend last night that blessed me so deeply. It reminded me how truly blessed I am. I am in a good place right now. I love my family and friends. I am doing things both professionally and in my downtime that I love. I am enjoying reading and being creative again. When I am alone I don't feel lonely. When I think of my people in Nova Scotia (which is still very often) I have fond memories and missing moments but it doesn't become a crippling sadness anymore. I am enjoying life. 
Rating: Victory!

5. Write More
I have been writing but not intentionally writing. I write sermons, sometimes blog, sometimes journal. But it is not the effort I had intended with the goal. I like the outcome of writing not the actual act of writing.
Rating: Currently Failing. 

6. Play Games
I played games! I play game regularly again not just once a year at Breakout. This is very exciting. I love the games group I have found.
Rating: Success.

7. Search for Unicorns
Have you heard my thoughts on "unicorns" other than they don't exist? There are three factors I am looking for in a date 1) loves Jesus, 2) single, 3) mutual attraction. I can only seem to find wonderful people hold only two of those qualities. I agreed to attempt  "Operation Boaz" aka find Liz a spouse, and put myself out there. I said I would sign up for online dating...only I never did. It scares me.

I made one attempt. I was at a conference, nice single pastor and I began chatting when he saw the book I was reading. He followed me to my next session because in his words he wanted to keep talking. At the end of the session we exchanged emails. This is for me really putting myself out there, I know it wasn't much but it was a huge step for me. We emailed a few times and then it was silent. I saw of Facebook recently that he just got engaged. So...yep.

I would like to go on a real date...someday. I haven't been on one in five years. I think it might be time.
Rating: Currently Failing.

Final Thoughts:
With two hours left on 37 and all the jalapenos poppers gone I think it might be time to call it a night. The summary of the year: I have amazing people in my life, if you are reading this you're one of them so thank you. It was a fantastic year, tomorrow will be grand, and I need to get over my insecurities. I think there  are great things on the horizon.

Comments