The 42 While 42 Birthday Challenge: February

.

Only 58 days to the challenge deadline. With all the other life stuff happening it does not feel like enough time. Or maybe I'll cram all the challenges into the days between my exam and birthday eve? 

I use these updates to give the status on each goal. And when there is a success I'll explain how I met my goal and when possible share a picture. I have often keep the success stories and picture in the current update. This time I have decided to only write about the current status and victories. If you want more details you can read the previous posts

I have also decided to change one of the challenges. I did not make the decision lightly. The only other time I change a challenge in the middle of the year was during 2020 when so many of the challenges had become impossible due to the state of the world. This time the change is mostly because my life has shifted. The original goal does not seem possible right now. In previous years I would just have counted it as a lost goal. However, I have a new hobby that I really would like to celebrate with a challenge. And I needed to remind myself, this is my challenge for me. I made it and I can change it to fit me. You can find more details on why the original goal won't happen and my excitement about the new challenge on goal #12.

Challenge Legend:
Black =have not started
Green =just started or have a plan
Blue =in progress and success is possible
Purple =VICTORY!

New Adventures:

1. Live somewhere new

2. Lead a group inductive Bible Study

3. Survive Hebrew Expository 1 (Fall 2023)

4. Survive Hebrew Expository 2 (Winter 2024)

We just finished reading week. I have a major paper due next Monday. At this point survival seems a hope but it could go either way. I also need to memorize Psalm 23 in Hebrew and I am finding that a big challenge.

5. Translate Ruth from Hebrew into English

6. Continue Sabbath keeping

After last month's challenge review, I had a conversation with my board and moved my day off to Fridays. This will be reevaluated next term. My class schedule really effects my weekly rhythm. 

7. Be thankful

I am thankful, I am forgetful for writing it down and blogging the things for which I am grateful.

8. Keep up with my 5 year journal

Alex gave me this beautiful five year journal for my 40th birthday. I love it. I was more consistent this month, however this past week got busy and I have about a week to record tomorrow.

9. Explore a new city

10. Cosplay with Alex

11. Try a new experience

12. Learn to Play the Ukulele/100 Days of Ukulele Practice Prepare a ballroom floor show

I am sad to say goodbye to the ballroom floor show goal. I had a geeky song picked out that would fit with my favourite ballroom style (rumba). Sadly, in early December our car was broken into and of the things taken they stole our dance shoes that we stored in the trunk. Since then we just haven't been dancing. The loss of the shoes is just one factor that has made practicing and dancing feel like too much. I miss it; I hope we'll pick it up again. But it just isn't happening. AND... I have been learning something new.

Just before Christmas, Alex asked me if I was to take music lessons what instrument would I want to try. He has been taking drumming lessons since the fall. On this particular day I just hang out at Long and McQuade looking at all the things. There are a few instruments that interest me; flute, piano, and ukulele were at the top of the list. I told him but brushed off the idea because I'm not musical. 

Well...for Christmas Alex gifted me ukulele lessons, two music books, and a ukulele rental. The rental option was a wise move. We are paying $8 a month, 60% of that fee goes towards the purchase of the instrument I am using and if I decide there was a short lived hyper-fixation we didn't buy an instrument I don't play. 

January 7th was my first lesson, and I knew nothing. Today was my 51st day of consistently practicing. I've been videoing the journey thinking that maybe we make a 100 days of ukulele video or something. I still feel like I know nothing but it isn't true. I can play three scales, play 14 cords, sort of strum five different patterns, and have muddled my way through songs. If it's strumming I am not yet fast enough to keep up with a play through video. And I played something for my Sister last week that I knew she knew. She congratulated me on playing but didn't recognize the song. It's not great but it's a start. And the ukulele makes me happy.

13. Going mini golfing

We spontaneously went to a glow in the dark mini golf location to celebrate our friends birthday only to be told we needed a reservation. We know for next time and want to go with our friends.

14. Visit a zoo or aquarium

15. Sew a dress

I've read the pattern, have the fabric, the notions, and a machine. Now I just need to make the time.

Seasonal Adventures:

Spring

16. Celebrate Happy Duck Day (March 25th)

Happy Duck Day was a celebration Alex and I created in 2020. It brought joy to a grey month. Looking forward to splashing in puddles with Alex this coming March and a few other of our traditions.

17. Paint Easter eggs

I can't remember the last time I decorated eggs. I really want to do something special this coming Easter.

18. Hike a new trail

19. Attend the Tulip Festive

20. Visit an outdoor farmer’s market

Summer

21. Picnic in a park

22. Visit a new provincial park

23. Go on a boat ride

24. Watch fireworks

25. Run my last Day Camp (VBS)

Autumn

26. Decorate for autumn

27. Host Thanksgiving

28. Watch Over the Garden Wall

29. Have an autumnal adventure

30. Go on a ghost walk or tour

Winter

31. Send Christmas Cards

32. Attend the Nutcracker Ballet

33. Go Christmas Caroling

34. Make a hearty winter soup

It could still happen

35. Participate in an outdoor winter sport

I'm not sure this will happen. I want to snowshoe or cross country skiing but there is no snow here. The warm days are lovely but I feel like I am running out of time.

Missed Adventures:

I have gone over every birthday challenge since the first one from 2006 and have made a list of all the missed opportunities. The plan is to give myself a second chance of seven of those goals...but I keep forgetting about them and now there is only two months do work on them. 

36. ?

37. ?

38. ?

39. ?

40. ?

41. ?

42. ?

Conclusion:


I think I should be worried. The only movement was the new challenge because I'm half way through 100 days so it moved from green to blue. Other than that there has been no progress on these challenges. Unless one of my forgotten/second change goals was an escape room goal because Alex and I did one of those this month. It was a blast. I might add it, it should have been a goal.

I do expect seven of the challenges to be completed before the end of April. I am not sure what is going to happen to the remaining eleven. I guess we'll know in 58 days. I hope March's update will be more positive.

Comments

Matthew said…
I think you're doing a great job Liz! Just having a list and working on it surely has made you accomplish way more than most :)