Ponyo = Joy

Friday was one of those days, the kind that just seem to go from bad to worst. Plans fell apart, people let me down, and I became Eeyore with a rain cloud gloom following me around. It looked like the whole day would be gloomy until 3:30pm when I made my mind up to have fun.

Becca agreed to join me for dinner and a movie. The only question was what movie. After checking online I was ecstatic to see Ponyo was playing in Halifax. It took a bit of convincing (not Becca's movie type). We then invited one of the girls in the youth group who I knew loved anime.

Ponyo is the most recent animated movie written and directed by Hayao Miyazaki (Spirited Away, Howl’s Moving Castle, My Neighbor Totoro, and Princess Mononoki). The story is inspired by the Little Mermaid and a traditional Japanese story. This is of a goldfish named Ponyo is exploring and is rescued by a five-year-old boy and then desires to become a real human girl. Her sea wizard father is against the idea. But the strong spirited fish makes a choice that almost floods the world.

The show was enjoyable. There are some great animated sequences. There are also some very bizarre sequences. If you’ve seen and enjoyed any of Miyazaki’s work you should like this. The best part for me was the going out with people. It is good to have friends.

I give it three starfish and a goldfish.

Comments

Elizabeth said…
HAM! HAM! HAM!

*carries light on head*