Changes

The blog has been in need of a fresh new look for years. At least I thought so which is why "revamp the blog" as a challenge for the 38 While 38 (number 17). This weekend I have been playing around with the transformation options. I have not always been happy with the results.

There seems to be two ways to renovate the look in Blogger. Option One: give the current style a new cosmetics and colour scheme. It could be drastic with a new header and background colour, different font, and all links in colours that fit the new theme. Or, since I like the look of a white background only changing the link colours to match a new header. I created the new header in Canva, which was new to me but very fun. I first used it to create Alex and my "Save the Dates."

Option Two: try a new blogger template. This changes the way you view and navigate the blog. Blogger offers 11 temples with four to six designs styles. I've been using the "classic" template for years; I think over a decade. The trouble with changing the template seems to be some of the extras I've added over the years aren't compatible with all the templates.

It has been a process, at times a very frustrating process. Saturday, while trying to figure out what layouts could work, I accidentally applied a template. I thought I was just testing the layout but it went live on the blog. That didn't seem too horrible until I realized it had lost my old header which I no longer have access too and a few other style bits I liked. I was angry and thought not kind words about the designers of blogger. And for a moment considered deleting the blog all together and never looking at it again. It might have been a bit of an over reaction. Wonderful Susi, both calmed me down and was able to find how the blog was with the Way Back Machine. I have still gotten angry with Blogger but not to the same extreme.

I've decided on a new teal colour scheme based on the header I made in Canva. For a template I'm going to test one called "SoHo Light." I'm going to try it out for a month and make changes based on your feedback. With the help of Susi we've created this survey to help me determine what works and what might need to changes.

Comments