Sunday Scribbles: Jan 19

I miss art.

I love sketching, doodling, painting, and being creative in general. It is fun, fulfilling, and refreshing. I find it helps gives focus and stimulates my thinking. I also know then when I am creating regularly there is more joy in my life.

And yet, I sabotage my own enjoyment of the creative process. I take making art too seriously. I hate my slow progress. I am overly critical. I judge my work and skills to that of "high school Liz" who was taking art classes and drawing regularly or worse to professionals who have made it their life's work to be great artists.

These mental acts of self sabotage and negative thinking has meant I don't pick up my pencils or paints often. I can't remember then last time I drew anything and I know haven't painted since November 2018. Which is silly. I want more art in my life so I think I need to have some silly art to take it less seriously and find the fun again. It that vein, Friday night I got a few new art books including 365 Days of Drawing by Lorna Scobie.
 
The plan is that each week I will complete a minimum of four exercises and share them on the Sunday. It might be more but the goal is four.
I had considered making this an extreme art challenge. "I will complete this book in 2020." And that would be very cool if it happened. However, I know me. This isn't the first time I've planned to share art on the blog. It lasts at most three months, and that was one sketch a week. If I set my challenge at doing seven assignments every week. I'd stress myself out focused more on the goal then the joy of the assignment. The reality is that I don't think that would be possible and at the first failure I would just give up.
I am going to try and remind myself this is suppose to be fun. The goal of four is to keep me drawing without overwhelming me. Visit again next Sunday for more art.

Comments