Ash Wednesday

The season of lent began today. The next forty days are a time remembering Jesus’ temptation in the desert as well as his sacrifice. I know it is not apart of my church’s tradition but I’ve participate in lent since a conversation my last year of high school. It was my friends’ disbelief that I wasn’t giving up something and their explanation of the reasons and symbolism that cause me to agree to give up pop. I’ve since done a bit more digging. I found it interesting that historically the focus was on adding spiritual disciplines not just abstaining or sacrificing. The deliberate adding to ones life challenged me so for the next forty days I plan to focus on memorising a chapter of the Bible. I’m also given up dairy for lent. I’ve already failed, I had milk in my tea before I remember my commitment…I start tomorrow?

Is anyone else giving up or adding something to their lives?

Comments