Sister + Cousin Movie Review: Justice League

I've been looking forward to Justice League since last summer. I've stated more than once to friend that my expectation going in was wary optimism. The resent DC movies have not been great, Wonder Woman has been the only decent film. I full expected they were going to disappoint me. Yet, I knew I would still pay to see the film.

Saturday night the Cousins, Sister, and I saw the late show in IMAX. And it was everything I hoped for. I wanted to be entertained and I was. I was so happy with the story, characters, and that it wasn't dark. I am so happy that it wasn't bad and even was good. Aside: I really love this movie poster, especially including the heroes logos as letters.

Warning: As always, there are spoilers ahead. Also one last thing, I got everyone's thoughts on the film while it was still fresh, during our drive home after the movie. I have an extra day to reflect on what we saw before writing my thoughts.

The Good:
Bill: It wasn't dark or evil. They also had one of the best interpretations of Superman. There were wise character choices like having Superman rescuing the civilians, a very Superman act.
Jeff: I actually cared what happened, unlike during Man of Steel
(didn't even watch Batman VS Superman). A large part of the enjoyment and invested was that they made the characters interesting and well rounded.
Sister: The one liners, the music, and that it didn't disappoint my Sister
Me: I enjoyed myself immensely. I like these characters and I enjoyed watching them on the big screen. I liked that it wasn't completely dark and gritty like Batman VS Superman. And I agree with Jeff, I cared about these characters and the outcome of the story being told. I enjoyed the one liners. In many ways Alfred and Barry/the Flash made the movie work. Gal Gabot shone every time she was on screen and it made me want another Wonder Woman movie. Since I've hade extra time to process the movie and as a result I keep changing what my favourite scenes. Both the Amazonians and the Alantian battles for the boxes stand out the most. I love those worlds and want more. I enjoyed the rescue of the kidnapped Star lab employees. I even was glad that there was tension between Batman and Wonder Woman, it was a bit "you did not just say that" mixed with he's a flawed character. I thought the introductions of Flash, Cyborg, and Aquaman to the DCU were handled well. For those who don't know, Aquaman is my favourite DC hero. My hope for this movie was that he wasn't going to be treated as a joke. I loved how they addressed the common view of him in the trailer and then let Arthur Curry be awesome. I know my Cousin disagrees with me but I loved the Mera scene. I got giddy in fact. The biggest thing, I was hesitantly optimistic going into Justice League. I wanted to not hate the film or be disappointed by the treatment of the characters. I think they overcame those worries. I paid to be entertained and I was entertained.

The Less Than Good:
Bill: There was too much information crammed into the limited screen time. It makes you wonder why they included Commissioner Gordon or tried to introduce Mera
Jeff: Even for the length it felt rushed, things were cut, it still made sense but were details missing.
Sister: Amy Adams, she just annoys me
Me: There was too much Lois Lane. Her scenes felt like an interruption to the story. There was also a moment in the middle that it felt like the movie was moving slow yet trying to do too much. Also, the more I think about the boxes and villain the more questions I have. While watching it wasn't a problem it is only a day later I'm starting to ask ,"where, what, how?" These questions, plot holes, did not diminish my enjoyment of the movie. I'm a Whovian, I have a great capacity to suspend disbelief and over look plot holes.

Favourite Justice League Member:
Bill: Superman
Jeff: Superman
Sister: The Flash
Me: Aquaman

Favourite non-Justice League Character:
Bill: Superman, the answer is always Superman
Jeff: Alfred
Sister: Alfred
Me: Queen Hippolyta

Favourite Quote:
Bill: Nothing stands out as memorable
Jeff: "We tend to act like the doomsday clock has a snooze button" -Batman
Sister: "I need friends" -Barry Allen
Me: The second time Batman asks Aquaman, "so, do you talk to fish?"

Favourite Scene:
Bill: The fight after Superman's return, especially that there was a fight
Jeff: During the Superman's back fight, Wonder Woman, Cyborg, and Aquaman are trying to hold Superman back. The Flash runs behind and in a great slow-mo pan Superman turns his eyes' sidewise to follow the Flash's movements.
Sister: Aquaman downing the bottle of whiskey like it was apple juice
Me: The Amazon's heroic attempt to keep the Mother box away from Steppenwolf

Rating:
Bill: 3.5 Superman logos out of 5
Jeff: 3.5 slow-mo side eyes out of 5
Sister: 4.8 Flash lighting blots out of 5
Me: 4.2 tridents out of 5

Final Thoughts:
Before seeing the movie the only think I had heard was "it's not bad." I've since read a few reviews, all giving negative grades or calling it an "Avengers Wannabe." I think the critics are wrong. It has its flaws, I'll probably think up more problems later. They do not undermine the films entertainment value. There are similarities to Avengers, and you can't help but compare the two. I think the Marvel films did a better job setting up their world for the first Avengers. DC is still playing catch-up.

That said, I liked the movie and will see it again. I think I might even want to own it. It was good. Yes, it followed superhero clichés, cause it's a superhero movie. I like superhero movies. I also think you don't have to go an watch all the earlier movies, there are nods to them and follow up references, but really this movie stands alone. That's just my thought, go see it, and tell me if you agree or not.

Comments