Day 1: Planes, Trains, and Automobiles or Hurry Up and Wait

Yesterday was the greatly anticipated day of much travel (and even more waiting). It was a simple day of drive to the airport, a quick flight, a layover, another flight, and a finale taxi to the hotel; and we did ride in all transportation methods mentioned in the title of John Candy and Steve Martin's 1987 movie.* (The train was a tram taking us to another terminal).

While the day was simple it was also long, very very very long. We arrived at the airport early to make sure there was no hiccups. Once through security we only had two hours to wait...till the flight was delayed two hours. Which was fine, we had long enough layover at the next airport that it wasn't a problem. Arriving at that airport, we discovered our next flight was also delayed. It was okay it gave us time for supper. The travel was beginning to wear on us. We had naps They almost helped. Airport naps are some of the most unsatisfying types of naps. I wanted to be absolute as say they are the most unsatisfying, however the moment I do I imagine comments stating worse nap options.


Waiting at the Ottawa Airport  

 After boarding our last flight there was another delay. We stayed on the plane about an hour before take off. I am not complaining. It was actually a small blessing. In return for the wait the airline provided complementary DirectTV with headphones. I wasn't going to pay $8 for 100 channels and a few movie options. Having it improved the flight. Dad got to watch the Red Blacks play Toronto (CLF) which was wonderful till they lost their 31 pt lead. Mom enjoyed Legally Blond. Sister saw Supernatural and part of Ready Player One. 

 

And I got to watch the first episode of Hulu's original Marvel series Runaways. I want to gush about this show. Since learning about it from Wednesday Club I have wanted to read and watch the series. The book was created by Brian K Vaughan. I have loved everything I've read by him. I also believe that pattern will probably continue. He makes beautiful slice of life stories in these epic worlds and story archs. The concept of Runaways sounded fantastic. Actually watching is was better, for me the plot lived up to the expectation and made me want more**. I also so a bit of Cloak and Daggers. The episodes seemed to be from the middle of the first season and the finale so I changed the channel...spoilers. After that I did a lot of channel surfing.

We landed some time around 12ish am local time so 3ish am our home time. We could have been cast in any zombie movie...because we were dead tired.*** It is also the reason for waiting a day to blog. Today's adventures will be up tomorrow, hopefully.

*Confession: I have never seen Planes, Trains, and Automobiles. I believe a professor in college showed a clip in chapel as part of a sermon illustration but that doesn't count. I've been told it is a comedy classic and my life is lesser for not having seen it. 

**Does anyone in Canada watch Runaways or Cloak and Dagger, if so what service do you use to watch it? Please leave a comment or msg me with the details.

***I apologize for the bad joke, the poor delivery, and then the choice of explaining the joke. Tired Liz's humor does not always translate well and require editing that I do not give it. 

Comments