Wednesday Weekly Art #10 -Speed Watercolour

Monday, two days after Skagway, I was excited when I saw "Watercolor" as an activity on the cruise schedule. I was a bit confused by the "speed" in the description but decided to check it out. I was hoping it was going to be a class or lecture by an artist on how to do quick sketches with watercolours. I also thought that it something more like a game I'd play with a youth group...the second guess was right.
I arrived early and found out I needed to put my name in for the draw. With the area already crowded and the bowl of names very full I did not think I'd be picked and even considered going back to the cabin for a nap. They were only doing three rounds with six participants in each round. How it worked is you started on your easel. You had one minute to start your masterpiece inspired by Alaska. After a minute you moved to the next piece and added to that painting. Each minute you continued to move around the circle working for a minute on the painting in front of you before returning to your original painting. When you got back to your canvas you had a final minute to finish up your painting.

I was about to leave at the start of the second round when my name was called. My plan was a sunset. I started with a quick wash for the sky and ocean when the time was called. I used the paper towel to wet the whole page and then used it to spread the blue. After the rush two woman commented they liked my technique. It made me smile because I had enjoyed listening to their comments about peoples skills during the first round. Another girl informed me that the "eagle" had started as a whale before there was a switch. When I got back to the piece I added the mountain to the far left and was starting to make the coastline beach.
For a silly game it with six "artists" involved I am really happy with the outcome. I liked my sky, water, and mountain. Maybe it did improve my speed skills.

Comments