45 Before 45: Challenges 26 to 30

It is day six of planning the goals for my next birthday challenge, 45 Before 45. I will be posting five challenges a day, from June 11-19, until all 45 goals have been introduced.

Being Sunday, I thought it would be fitting to have today's challenges to all be collected from spiritual practices I want to encourage in my life.

The Birthday Challenges 26-30

26) Abide

Daily time alone in prayer and Scripture reading has been incredibly significant in my life. I notice a difference in me when I have neglected these practices. I also find, with my diagnosed ADHD, the tools that help me engage in this form of spiritual abiding only help a short time and need to be rotated. 

For this project, I want to track not only the keeping of daily practices, but reflect on what I am experiencing through the practices and note when I am sensing boredom and a need for change. I have been thinking a lot about how regular advice about organizing life does not work for the neurodivergent brain and often is the opposite of helpful. I have had to learn to work with my brain and not against it. I have been curious if the same is true for spiritual practices and the general advice about spiritual formation misses the realities a neurodivergent person faces. 

Bronze: one task, Silver: complete two more tasks. Gold: complete two more tasks.

  • Continue the regular practice of a quiet time
  • Track when (date and time)  I have time alone with God over 2024-2026 including what I did, how it felt, and a reflection
  • Try 30 days using Lectio 365 in the mornings
  • Try 30 days using Lectio 365 in the evenings
  • Use the Abide course study SMORP method during the Abide course
  • Follow the Daily Office for 30 days
  • Follow an Advent devotional
  • Use a Lent devotional
  • Research other contemplative practices to add as possible daily options

27) Rule of Life

I first heard the phrase "Rule of Life" seven years ago while reading Sacred Rhythms by Ruth Haley Barton. This article is an adaptation of the chapter on the topic, "Arranging Our Lives for Spiritual Transformation." I want to understand the principles behind having a rule of life better and create a spiritual rhythm that works with my life and responsibilities. 

To achieve Bronze: one task, Silver: complete two more tasks. Gold: complete two more tasks.

  • Read four articles or chapters on Rule of Life
  • Read two or more books about forming a Rule of Life
  • Discuss the topic with my spiritual director
  • Discuss the topic with Alex and other trusted spiritual friends
  • Set up a rule of life before April 26, 2025
  • Evaluate the rule of life by October 26, 2025
  • Go on four retreats of 24 hours or longer
  • Go on one silent retreat
  • Fast for a week at least twice
  • Practice Sabbath keeping
  • Practice Hospitality
  • Practice Thanksgiving

28) My One Word

Over a decade ago a dear friend introduced me to the idea of choosing a single word to emphasize the coming year. That word would be the lens through which decisions made and life were lived. Choosing a word for the year helps me to prioritize the areas in my life I wish develop or remind of what is important to me. 
  • Bronze: finish the year with my 2024 word
  • Silver: choose a word for 2025 or 2026
  • Gold: choose a word for both 2025 and 2026

29) Bible Reading

This will fit in with the abiding challenge but it is its own goal. The main focus is to reread the whole Bible over the next two years, with two other Scripture reading practices which are important to me. 

To achieve Bronze: two tasks, Silver: complete five tasks. Gold: complete all ten tasks.
  • Practice Lectio Divina regularly. Looks like 50 times over two years. 
  • Manuscript/inductive study on Matthew
  • Read the Pentateuch (Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers and Deuteronomy)
  • Read the Historical Books (Joshua, Judges, Ruth, 1&2 Samuel, 1&2 Kings, 1&2 Chronicles, Ezra, Nehemiah, Esther)
  • Read Poetry Books (Psalms, Proverbs, Job, Ecclesiastes, Lamentations, Song of Songs)
  • Read the Major Prophets (Isaiah, Jeremiah, Ezekiel, Daniel)
  • Read the Minor Prophets (Hosea, Nahum, Joel, Habakkuk, Amos, Zephaniah, Obadiah, Haggai, Jonah, Zechariah, Micah, and Malachi)
  • Read Four Gospels and Acts
  • Read Paul's 13 Letters
  • Read the remaining 10 NT Books

30) Scripture Memorization

I don't have much to say on this. I want to learn, memorize, review, and remember key Scripture passages. 

To achieve Bronze: one task, Silver: complete one more task. Gold: complete two more tasks.

  • Learn 12 verses with the church, one a month
  • Learn 24 verses with the church, one a month
  • Learn first 10, the verses recommended for Church Renewal level 1
  • Learn all 19, the verses recommended for Church Renewal level 1
  • Learn first 8, the verses recommended for Church Renewal level 2
  • Learn all 18, the verses recommended for Church Renewal level 2
  • Review verses once a month for 24 months

Comments