45 Before 45: Challenges 6 to 10

It's day two of planning the goals for my next birthday challenge, 45 Before 45. I will be posting five challenges a day, from June 11-19, until all 45 goals have been introduced. In the previous two Creating the Next Birthday Challenge posts I said I would be done on June 20th. That was wrong because I ran into the fence post problem: the fence post problem.

I have been doing birthday challenges since my quarter-life crisis in 2005, 19 years ago. I've been setting these yearly goals every year since, many of which have been tracked on this blog. 

In yesterday's post I explained the two ways I am restructuring this next birthday challenge. First, it will span two years, April 26, 2024 to April 25, 2026 as the 45 Before 45

Second, each of the 45 challenges are going to have a badge, similar to interest badges in Girl Guides. The badges will have three levels of possible achievement (think bronze, silver, gold). How to achieve each level will depend on the tasks for each goal. For some it will be three smaller goals. For others it could be a list of 10 tasks, each level requires me to complete a certain amount of tasks. The breakdown could be level 1 needs one, level 2 requires 2, and level 3 requires 3. Or it could be that each requires the completion of three tasks. I am really excited about this change, however it is more complicated than making the list of challenges in previous years. 

The Birthday Challenges 6-10

6) Cooking

There are a few different ideas motivating this challenge. First, Alex and I have been talking about eating healthier and discussing what that looks like. As I mentioned yesterday, I'm still adjusting to needing to eat gluten-free for the rest of my life. We also want to increase and encourage healthy food habits. Second, and somewhat connected we want to find a meal plan system that works for us and with our ADHD. And third, we like trying new recipes and cooking together for ourselves and for guests. To achieve Bronze: two task, Silver: complete three more tasks. Gold: complete four more tasks.

  • Track what I'm eating for 30 days including how many fruits and vegetables in a meal. (Not calorie counting just recording the foods and meals)
  • Create and follow a meal plan for six weeks
  • Keep a running list of meals we enjoy and recipes that worked
  • Try a food lifestyle for 30 days (vegetarian, vegan, keto, we have not decided which and are open to suggestions)
  • Eat salads for a main meal every day for 30 days.
  • Cook six recipes from the Heroes' Feast cookbook.
  • Cook six recipes from Mennonite Girls Can Cook.
  • Cook six recipes from More-With-Less.
  • Cook six recipes from From a Monastery Kitchen (that are not soups)
  • Cook six recipes from Simply in Season (that are not soups)
  • Cook six recipes from a not yet decided cookbook
  • Host Thanksgiving Dinner with a homemade gluten-free pumpkin pie
  • Try three new appetizers recipes for the annual Stewart Family Christmas Eve appetizer dinner
  • Cook with Alex a five course dinner for friends and/or family

7) Ontario Provincial Parks

In 2021 Alex and I visited Kakabeka Falls Provincial Park. While in the gift shop we discovered the Ontario Parks Passport and park stickers. Since that day it has been my mission to collect all 113 stickers by visiting every park listed in the book. It has also rekindled my love for nature, camping, and outdoor adventures. To achieve Bronze: complete any three tasks, Silver: complete three more tasks. Gold: complete three more tasks.
  • Go camping at least once in 2024.
  • Visit four Provincial Parks that are new to us in 2024
  • Visit two more Provincial Parks that are new to us in 2024
  • Have and use the 2024 Summer Park Pass at least six times
  • Go camping at least once in 2025
  • Visit four Provincial Parks that are new to us in 2025
  • Visit two more Provincial Parks that are new to us in 2025
  • Have and use the 2025 Summer Park Pass at least six times
  • Go canoeing or kayaking.
  • Go on a hike longer than 10km. 
  • Go on a backcountry camping trip.
  • Make a Provincial Parks video
  • Make one more more reels/shorts of putting our stickers in our passport book
  • Purchase any missing stickers for our Parks Passport book. I know for sure we are missing one sticker (they were out the day we visited)

8) Nova Scotia Adventures

I love where we live. Life is good here and we are setting down roots. At that same time there is always a longing in my heart for the ocean and apple blossoms. I miss Nova Scotia. I miss my friends and found family. Alex, being the wonderful man that he is, understands this about me and knows that it's been two year since we've been back. Because of that he suggested we use our vacation this summer to go home. I am looking forward to seeing my peoples. I am also looking forward having some of the following adventures with Alex and making memories. To achieve Bronze: complete three task, Silver: complete four more tasks. Gold: complete five more tasks.

  • Play board games with friends
  • Enjoy live music
  • Attend a bonfire/roast marshmallows 
  • Eat a very East Coast meal (I'm thinking lobster but it could change).
  • Take Alex somewhere he hasn't visited yet that is not specifically listed in these goals.
  • Hike Cape Split
  • Visit the Look Off
  • Watch the sunrise over Blomidon  
  • Rope Climb at On Tree
  • Go on a Valley Ghost Walk tour
  • Enjoy a beach day/swim in the Atlantic Ocean
  • Take a picture with the welcome to NS sign, a giant lobster, a lighthouse, the Wolfville sign, and a farmers market.
  • Take the Halifax Hopper Tour
  • Visit one of the six UNESCO sites in Nova Scotia.
  • Have moonmist ice cream (after checking the ingredients)
  • Participate in the Not Since Moses 5km on Saturday, August 24th.
  • Go blueberry picking
  • Visit a rock beach
  • Visit the Drive-In
  • Sing Farewell to Nova Scotia at least once 

9) Saving  Money

There are people who when given money save it, squirrel it away for the winter. I am the opposite, if it is a gift or "extra money" my brain wants to spend it. I am a queen of impulse shopping. I've learned to watch my spending and be ready for bills. I have not developed the habits of saving. I want to change this and find joy in the act of saving. For this challenge to acquire Bonze: Complete one of these tasks, Silver: Complete two more tasks, Gold: Complete three more task.

  • Create a realistic spending and savings plan
  • Keep Christmas gifts spending under a set number.
  • Say "NO" to six tempting impulsive buys and put the money I would have spent in my savings account. 
  • Read Cultivating Trust by my friend Rebecca Van Noppen
  • Actively (cannot be a direct deposit) place a minimum of $10 in my savings account every week for 12 weeks.
  • Save $300 for a 2024 Nova Scotia trip
  • Save $2000 for Fam Jam 2025 
  • Save up for my dream raincoat and not purchase it on a whim.
  • Save up for a big gift for Alex (I cannot give more details he reads my blog)
  • Have $2000 in my savings account on April 25, 2026

10) Reduce My Debit

There are no end of articles, books, and speakers letting us know the dangers of debt and why living below your means is useful and finically healthy. I have the knowledge and now it is time to act on it. There are two debts I want to have completely paid off in the next four years. For this challenge I am going to focus on lowering my debts combined total by 50% over the next two years:

  • Bronze: 10% debt paid off
  • Silver: 25% debt paid off
  • Gold: 50% debt paid off

Comments

Janey said…
Hi Liz!!

Perhaps you could shift your "go canoeing or kayaking" goal from Ontario to Nova Scotia.
The Municipality of Kings County has (for the past number of years) put on a kayaking and stand-up paddle board program at Aylesford Lake for five and/or six days a week, in July and August. You get an hour for the free loan of a kayak or a stand up paddle board. (It has always been preferable to call to reserve a kayak or a board, else they might all be taken, but that has never been mandatory.)
Check out the Municipality's page covering recreation to check on the exact dates and other details.
Good luck with your 45 for 45.

Jane Warren