45 Before 45: Challenges 36 to 40

This is the penultimate, second to last, day of planning the goals for my next birthday challenge, 45 Before 45. I have been posting five challenges a day, from June 11-19, until all 45 goals have been introduced.

The Birthday Challenges 36-40

36) Art

This started as a goal that has been on every challenge since the 30 While 30, painting the large canvas. It then grew to a broader painting challenge with some watercolour tasks. Then Alex asked if I was going to do any drawing or sketching goals. 

There is Bonze: Complete one of these tasks, Silver: Complete two more tasks, Gold: Complete two more tasks.
  • Visit an art museum 
  • Fill a sketchbook
  • Do a series or study on trees
  • Practice watercolour everyday for 30 days
  • Have a sketchbook for each season for seasonal watercolour paintings
  • Read/use one of the many drawing or watercolour tutorial books I have
  • Take a painting course or series on Skill Share
  • Attend a paint party
  • Paint six small canvas acrylic test paintings
  • Re-paint the last canvas in a set of six
  • Finally paint the large canvas
37) Create

I love making things. I don't have one particular creative hobby. I like to rotate through my interest and discover new ones. That's what this challenge is all about making things. 

Bronze: Complete one of these tasks, Silver: Complete two more tasks, Gold: Complete two more tasks.
  • Finish an embroidery sample
  • Start an embroidery project I've been planning
  • Make Christmas gifts
  • Try making a resin project
  • Make something cute with polymer clay
  • Make candles
  • Paint strawberry containers
  • Try a craft kit
  • Make something 
  • Finish the sweater I started in 2020
  • Knit or crochet something
  • Try a new craft or creative project
  • Teach a craft

38) Cards

A number of years ago I was very involved in card making as a hobby.  During that time I collected a number of supplies, some might say a mountain or half a basement.  In recent years my time has been focused on other activities, work or hobbies. I still like making cards I just don't. This last Christmas I made some and I realized I was missing card making.  During my 45 before 45 I want to take some time to relive some of the joy I had when I was making cards regularly.

To achieve Bronze: Complete one of these tasks, Silver: Complete two more task, Gold: Complete three more tasks.

  • Make a new card design
  • Have four card making days with my mom
  • Make 24 birthday cards
  • Send birthday cards
  • Make a birthday mailing list
  • Attend a card making event
  • Make a Christmas card list
  • Make and send Christmas cards
  • Make a set of cards to gift to someone
  • Try two new stamping techniques

39) Sunrises and Sunsets

The night of my high school graduation a dear friend and I stayed up all night. I remember watching the sunrise with a sense that the new day was a new chapter in my life. On my 30th birthday I got up early to watch the sunrise again for similar reasons. Since then I have watched the sunrise on every birthday. I love the significance but I also love the beauty of the sunrise and sunset, and often will stop Alex while we are on a walk to stand and admire the colours and hues in the sky as the sun sets.  I want to take more time to admire the sun in those changing moments over the next couple of years.

Bronze: Complete one of these tasks, Silver: Complete two more tasks, Gold: Complete three more tasks.

  • Watch the sun rise and set in the same day
  • Watch the sunset over the ocean
  • See the sun rise in Nova Scotia
  • Take an ussie (with Alex) during sunset on a outdoor walk
  • Paint a sunset or sunrise
  • Traditional birthday sunrise photo for 2024
  • Traditional birthday sunrise photo for 2025
  • Watch the sun rise or set while camping
  • Watch the sun rise or set in a new location
  • Watch the sunrise everyday for a week
  • Watch the sunrise everyday for a month

40) Beauty

I like me. I want to start this specific challenge with that understood. I like me and most days how I look. This challenge is not about "making myself beautiful"  or fixing something about myself. I do enjoy using beauty products, doing my hair, and getting dressed up. I find makeup fun, frustrating at times, but fun. I appreciate a well done face of makeup or clever and fitting hair style. I have some skill with makeup, it is a useful cosplay skill. But there are times I also feel like I don't know what I am doing, especially when it comes to hair and styling. I would like to have more practiced looks and hairstyles in my repertoire.  The best way to get those is practice so I want to take some time to work on them.  

Bronze: Complete one of these tasks, Silver: Complete two more tasks, Gold: Complete two more tasks. 

  • Improve my skill with a specific braid style by using everyday for two weeks
  • Improve my skill with a different braid style by using everyday for four weeks
  • Learn how to curl my hair
  • Create an under 10 min make up look and wear it every day for two weeks
  • Create a second make up look and wear it every day for four weeks
  • Update eye shadow techniques, I do my makeup the same way I did in my 20s, but I am now in my 40s and it seems appropriate to age up my skills.
  • Perfect a makeup look for the night that also fits my look
  • Learn an easy, tearless, up do
  • Use my newly acquired evening look skills for a fancy date night with Alex
  • Visit a salon for a hair refresh, dye, and styling
  • Have a spa day with family or friend
  • Evaluate and update my morning skin care routine
  • Evaluate and update my evening skin care routine

Comments