A Book is Not the Solution...

...but it can be part of the journey.

At this moment my mind is internally exploding and turning to goo. It started with a question, “Liz, was Job a real person?” and a journey in re-thinking began. It hasn’t been the only factor but that simple question was a snowflake that became a snowball that trigger an avalanche of questions, thoughts, ideas, and more questions.

It seems every conversation, every book, every prayer, every day is just adding the landslide of thoughts –not is a bad way. This rethinking journey is like a hunger to grow and seek and understand God more fully. It is challenging me to think about my life choices and habits and honestly ask if they line up with Jesus. It has been an adventure in looking at what I believe because it’s always been taught that way (or I just accepted and assumed because I never considered the subject) to discovering what Jesus said and how that translates into a biblical-Jesus-follower’s worldview.

And this adventure isn’t over; it seems it has just begun. My head is turning to goo but the conversations are still happening and it is a beautiful thing. I normally don’t share the things I am wrestling with or processing online. I wait till the thoughts are neat and tidy but this feels to big to wait and write later. So this is my invitation to you to read how the goo in my head is being created. I’ll start with a list, these are a few books I’ve read over the past two months:
    The Cheapskate Next Door –Jeff Yeager
    In a Pit with a Lion on a Snowy Day –Mark Batterson
    100 Thing Challenge –Dave Bruno
    The Screwtape Letters –C.S. Lewis
    Jesus for President –Claiborne & Haw
    So You Don’t Want to Go to Church Anymore –Jacobsen & Coleman

I can't decided if I want to do a review of each, lump similar themes together, or let you the read pick which I reflect on first. What would you like. Also as I read a few of these the idea kept coming to my mind oh so-in-so should read this book that would help them. It's funny because books are not the solution even if they are part of the journey. My favourite quote from the book I just finished:
"This life can't be neatly sewn up in the intellect.
It must be uncovered in the journey."

Comments

matthew said…
I'd like to see a list of some of the questions these books have made you think about
Elizabeth said…
I think I can do that.