The Next Adventure

The bliss of birthdayness has almost past (I've been promised cake at Life Group tonight). Other than my Favourite Atheist no longer trusting me (more because “you can’t trust anyone over 30” than my theist worldview) 30 doesn't feel any different than 29. I have been 30 for just over forty hours and I am trying to figure out what the new challenges will be. Someone asked me if I would make a new list of 30. The thought had crossed my mind. A “30 Challenges My 30th Year” would give direction... but I’m not sure if that is how I want to celebrate this year or if it would be in keeping with the 2011 goal of "Focus, Finish, Forge."

Monday, pre-birthday, I called my family. Dad and I were talked about the upcoming birthday, the end of my 20s and start of a decade. We decided that neither of us knows what we want to do when we grow up and that the next ten years it will be “The Decade of Adventures”.

It was a great conversation. I am not sure if we ever came to a consensus on what a “decade of adventures” was but the name sounds awesome. So, for that reason, I declare “The Decade of Adventures has begun!

For now, I have two ideas on where to begin: First, inspired by Gretchen Rubin’s book The Happiness Project, I am going to have a monthly theme, focus, or challenge. May will be the first month and I think the focus will be "habits." Second, this year I am going to have four grand adventures. Not sure what those adventures will be yet. They could be as simple as a hiking Cape Split or as elaborate as sailing around the world (which I am not currently planning on doing…this year). If I have a minimum of four adventures every year for the next ten year, when I turn forty, I’ll have had forty unique adventures. So that is the plan a challenge focus each month and four adventures this year!

While I thinking up adventures and how I want them to help shape my life I was reminded of this:

Comments

Unknown said…
see post like this are why I love your blog. enjoy your decade of adventures, maybe I'll join you in a couple of years.