TWA Wrap Up: Trouble with Iron

Last Monday I shared another conversation I had with Favourite Atheist "What Can't God Do?" Today is the wrap of of the discussion. Thank you to everyone who left a comment.

Recap: The original conversation grew out of a conversation about God's power. FA asked if Judges 1:19 gave me any trouble.
The LORD was with the men of Judah. They took possession of the hill country, but they were unable to drive the people from the plains, because they had iron chariots. ~Judges 1:19
The trouble FA sees is that, if God is all powerful and he was on the side of the men of Judah why were He/they stopped by iron chariots? Can iron stop God?

Wrap Up: I never thought this verse was saying iron stopped God. I interrupted the "loss" as the army not trusting God or God allowed them to lose. There isn't enough to say what the author was meaning. I don't think he was communicating that God was limited and the writers intent should be considered in the interpretation process.

Comments

Nuchtchas said…
I think it's interesting/odd that FA seems to take the bible so literally, a criticism most atheists have against christians (which some do, and others don't)

I never thought that this passage meant God was controlling everyone on earth and he was stopped by chariots. It says to me that even with God on your side, sometimes you may lose. When it comes down to it, if God stepped in and controlled everything, then humans wouldn't be anything more than a pet to him, like a lame one, fish or something. He gave us free will and it is up to us to act with him in mind.