Sister Movie Review: Captain America - Civil War

Saturday Sister and I finally saw Captain America: Civil War. Turns out my family lives the middle of nowhere. The closest theatre is 45min. So we made it a whole event including shopping and a meal out.

I tried to convince her that we should see X-Men or Ninja Turtles; she did think those were good options. She's been wanting to see Civil War for awhile and this was her first chance. Maybe next time; the distance will making seeing movies a bit of a challenge.

Sister also, somewhat begrudgingly, agreed to contribute to the blog review along with the commemorative movie us-ie*. I am sad with the picture quality. All of the movie posters were backlit. But that's neither here nor there.

Movie Review Disclaimer: There are SPOILERS ahead. Read on at your own risk.

Good:
Sister: I LOVED IT!!! The way characters were introduced was great! I also liked the fights, the humour, and the motorcycle stunts. I have to own this movie!

Me: Civil War is what I expect and hope for from a Marvel movie. They seem to have found the right balance between humor and tension as well as action and slow moments, even character screen time and development seemed the right pace. The only time I was antsy was because I drank too much iced tea during the previews and had to slip out to the little girls room but didn't want to miss anything.

I didn't think I would like the movie. A few months back I watched an animated synopsis of the comic civil war to understand what people at work (I worked at a comic store) were talking about. I wasn't that interested in the story. I might be in the minority, but I am glad this was different from the comic book.

I think one of the best parts of the movie was Black Widow. She had some great moments but there is something else I can't quiet put it to words. I was happy with the character development; this is my favourite time seeing her on screen. I also liked the inclusion of Ant Man and Spider Man, both were perfect comic relief. I'm excited to see more of them in the future.

Less Than Good:
Sister: There were times the camera angles gave me a headache. It also seemed to start slow and not very funny, it was bearable because I knew it would get better. I also feel bad for liking it without reading original comic story.

Me: This might not fit; I think they got the title wrong. It didn't feel like the next chapter of the Captain America story. It felt more like Avengers: Civil War. I was also sad that Thor and Hulk weren't in the movie, totally get why they wouldn't be, but missed them. The mentioning of them was a nice touch. In the same vein, no Pepper Potts! I didn't expect Paltrow to be in the movie but they have her and Stark broken up?!? Did I miss something?

Favourite Moment:
Sister:  The whole movie was great and you want me to pick one moment? That's not fair. I did like the interactions between Sam/Falcon and Bucky/Winter Solider. The first is when then are in the car and Bucky asks Sam to move his seat up and Sam just says "No." The other is when they are fighting Spiderman. Bucky makes a quip and Sam responds with "I hate you."

Me: The conversation between T'Challa/Black Panther and Zemo while Cap and Iron Man are fighting. And T'Challa/Black Panther says, "Vengeance has consumed you. It's consuming them. I'm done letting it consume me. Justice will come soon enough."

Saddest/Hardest to Watch Moment:
Sister:  The final fight between Captain and Iron Man.

Me: The Wanda/Scarlet Witch fighting Vision to escape.

Which Side Are You On?
Sister:   Sister had a long explanation that almost parallels Black Widow's arch in the movie. After the ramble she decided that in the end she'd join Captain American, with the preface that Iron Man had some valid points.

Me: I'm with Cap

Final Rating:
Sister: 5 GIANT Ant Mans out of 5

Me: 4.4 vibranium shields out of 5

*An us-ie is similar to a selfie because it is a picture normally taken on a smartphone. The difference is that an "us-ie" includes two or more people. I first heard the term from Cinderella in 2014.

Comments