Ruth Translation: 1:10 to 1:12

Hello Friends and Faithful Readers,

Welcome to back to the next in section of the Translation Project. Today we are continuing with  Ruth 1:10-12. In yesterday's passage Naomi is heading back to her homeland but has encouraged Orpah and Ruth to return to their mothers house with the hope that they will find security with new husband. Today we are going to see how they respond. 

Today's passage had some interesting language. I found the language in verse twelve the hardest to smooth out into English. I am not sure I settled on the best option. I may revisit it later.

Ruth 1:10

But they said to her, "Surely we will return with you to your people."


Ruth 1:11

But Naomi said, "Return my daughters. Why would you go with me? Are there still sons in my womb to become husbands for you?


Ruth 1:12 

Return my daughters. Go. For I am too old to have a husband. For if I would say I have hope, that I have this night a husband and even bear sons.

Comments