Ruth Translation: 2:11-2:16

Hello Friends and Faithful Readers,

I realized today including this week's class, I only have three lectures left in the term, two papers, then the exam on December 13th. We have already been told the exam will be on Ruth, with the focus on translation and parsing the verbs (that is the work I am doing under the verbs on the sheets. Stating what form the verb is in, the tense, person (1st =I, 2nd=you, 3rd=he/she), the gender, and if its singular or plural). The scary thing is I won't have access to all the helpful tools that have been helping me with these translations.

 I found today's passages long with some challenging dialogue to work through. There were some interesting idioms in todays translations. At the ending verse 11 about "three days ago" meaning previously and then in verse 13, Ruth says "you have spoken upon the heart" meaning you have spoken kindly to me.

Ruth 2:11

Then Boaz answered and said to her, "It has been thoroughly told to me all that you have done for your mother-in-law after the death of your husband. How you left your father and your mother and the land of your family and you can to a people you did not know.

Ruth 2:12

May the Lord repay your actions and may your reward be full from the Lord, the God of Israel, under whose wings you have come to take refuge. 

Ruth 2:13

And she said, "May I find favour in your eyes, my lord, for you have comforted me and you have spoken kindly to your maidservant, though I am not one of your maidservants. 

Ruth 2:14

And Boaz said to her, " At the meal time come here, and you shall eat the bread and you shall dip your piece in the vinegar." And so she sat beside the harvesters, and he offered her roasted grain, and she ate and was satisfied, and there was some remaining.

Ruth 2:15

And when she got up to glean, Boaz commanded his young men saying, "Even if she gleans between the sheaves do not cause her to be humiliated."

Ruth 2:16

Rather, take out for her from the bundles and leave them so that she might gather them. And do not rebuke her."

Comments