30 Days of Hair -Day 1: Dutch Braid

Three years ago, I created my 40 Before 40 challenges, including goals of 30 Days of Makeup and 30 Days of Hair. These were two areas that I have great interest and yet felt utterly inadequate in. I love looking up both hair and makeup videos on YouTube or inspiration on Pinterest but never felt confident that I could recreate. I am a "girly girl" who lacks the skills. My hope when I set both goals was to improve my skills and raise my confidence. I've had success with the makeup. The question is will 30 days improve my hair skills?

At the time I set the goal I had three standard looks: 1) ponytail 2) messy (almost falling out) bun 3) straight. I had wanted to learn new skills including how to French braid, curl my hair, and use the right products with the right style. I've since learned to French braid but that's about it in the skill department. I still feel woefully unable to create hairstyles that look good and last the day.

For this month, the ultimate goal is to have a repertoire of hairstyles I can recreate. Secondary goals are 1) to gain hair-styling confidence, 2) use all the styling tools I own at least once each, 3) figure out what styles work best for my hair type, 4) learning how to stop styles and specifically braids from falling out, and 5) figure out how I want my hair styled for my upcoming wedding.

The guidelines for this challenge are: there will be 30 unique hair styles, one for each day of the next 30 days. Hair styles can use similar techniques or even build on a previous look. The example I'm thinking of is today's look is a dutch braid there are a number of more complex looks that use dutch braids to complete or enhance the simple braid. All looks must be done with/to my own natural hair by me, though help is allowed. I had considered allowing styling wigs but that feels like a different challenge.
This is my first attempt at a Dutch braid. I put my hair up into the braid first thing on the morning, right after my shower. I read somewhere last week that wet hair for fine hair works best. It started at the very front of my hairline. It looked decent, almost no fly-aways, the start had only fallen to the middle of the top of my head, and the back was a bit more gathered. I should have taken a picture then, when everything was still fresh. But it was too close to Storytime and I needed to get ready for the livestream.  I had storytime, lunch, meals, a nap, and my weekly online D&D session before taking these pictures. By then it wasn't the most attractive braid. It was falling out, the start of the braid had slid to the back of the crown, and the back looked messy.

This is my starting place. My hope is that by the end of the month I have either learned how to make braids stay in place or some alternative styles that work all day. I'm also going to be taking pictures earlier in the day because they just look better before a nap. See you tomorrow with a new hair look.

39 Days Till Wedding!

Comments