Food Friday

Traditionally “food” hasn’t been a subject I thought about. If asked I could give a ice breaker answers to my favorite foods, my choice of last meal, or food I would be willing to eat every day. But to think about food, what was there to think about? I would never have thought about blogging about it, maybe sharing a good recipe or restaurant experience but not a post about food. What is there to say about food?

I started rethinking my food habits earlier this year while reading the 100 Mile Diet: A Year of Local Eating (the US edition is called Plenty: One Man, One Woman, and Raucous Year of Eating Locally, it also has different cover art). If I didn’t post about it when I finished reading it, I loved the book. I loved how both authors wove their lives into each chapter while sharing their challenges eating locally grown food. You can learn more about their site at 100milediet.org

After finishing I began reading Plant, Animal, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver (with Steven L. Hopp and Camille Kingsolver). The concept was the same; eat locally grown foods for a year. It was interesting but a slower read, the library due date came and went and I was only half through it. I plan to sign it out again and finish it some day. What interesting to me while the topic was same they presented a whole new look at the topic and issues.

Then last month, Jessica got me thinking about what I eat, how North America farms, and vegetarianism. To the point I am day 19 into a 30 day vegetarian challenge. What I've learned is that there is more to food than just eating. Leads me to a question for you the reader:
When buying food what do you care about most?
Freshness
Cost
Locally grown
Organic
Health issues/benefits
Vegetarian/vegan choices
Convenience
Other
Free polls from Pollhost.com



If you said “other” please leave a comment explaining your choice. Thanks!

Comments