Make It Monday: Knitting Ideas

Neither Monday nor Tuesday went as I had planned. I’ve come down with some type of head-cold that is going around the area. I’ve been drinking my mom’s favorite miracle medicinal solution –flat ginger ale. But I had to skip the chicken noodle soup. What do vegs eat when they are sick?

If I had of been able to post on Monday I would have shared this cool knitting site I found, Meta Post Modern Knitting. It has trends, patterns, a blog, and great links. There are a few different patterns I’d like to try. I just need to finish the two projects I currently have on the go.

Also for knitting fans, I strongly recommend reading Stephanie Pearl-McPhee’s books. I finished reading “Things I Learned from Knitting” last night. It was a very humorous look at the crazy hobby we enjoy and the lessons it can teach.

Comments

Jecca said…
i hope you are feeling a bit better.

i was sick a few months ago. on average, it's a lot less common for vegans to get sick than omnivores, but they still do get sick. if you have a sore throat, I suggest gargling tea tree oil...the only thing that worked for me. add a few drops to warm water and gargle every few hours or as needed. as for food, i like to make bean soup. put a few drops of liquid smoke in the pot and it will taste similar to ham and bean soup. i posted the recipe on my blog last year and here is a modified vegan version:

1/2 bag of Goya 16 Bean Soup Mix (soaked and drained)
1 medium carrot, thinly chopped
1 medium onion, thinly chopped
liquid smoke to taste (1 tsp?)
1 bay leaf
4-5 cups of mushroom or vegetable stock (maybe some of both or just plain water would do, though you will need more spices to flavor it)
salt and pepper to taste
tvp (textured vegetable protein - optional) or maybe chopped seitan or tempeh would work too

Bring everything but the tvp/faux meat to a boil, cover and simmer for about an hour or hour and a half, until beans are pretty tender. Add the faux meat for the last 10 minutes if using seitan or tvp, probably longer for tempeh. You could also add diced potatoes or diced celery to this recipe. Serve with vegan biscuits. Makes 4-5 servings.

you could also make other soups (squash, potato, etc). green smoothies would be good too if you can handle cold food.