Vegetarian for a Month

Starting today I am following a vegetarian diet for the next thirty days. For those who have concerns about vegetarian diet not providing all the bodies’ nutritional needs please do not worry; I’ll be following a form of lacto-ovo vegetarianism. I won’t be eating meat, poultry, or fish but I am still including eggs and dairy in my meals. I’ve also been reading many guides, cookbooks, and nutritional plans to help prepare for this transition. I am making a 30-menu plan that will have a variety of foods that provide the essential nutrients. Truth is, I will be eating better the next thirty than I normally do.

There are a number of different reasons someone would choose to be a vegetarian. The big ones I’ve found were a love for animals and/or a desire to need animal cruelty, health issues, and a way to protect the environment. My reason is some what smaller, my friend Jessica asked me to try it. Jessica were friendly acquaintances in college, through blogging I believe we’ve become friends, we both similar loves and interests, and last year she joined me in the insane pursuit of nanowrimo. Thirty days without meat wasn’t too much to give up for a friend. And so it begins…

Supper Day 1: Spaghetti with mushrooms and green pepper sauce.

Comments

Jecca said…
so excited for you my friend :)

go liz!
Dena said…
You can do it! I am just now ending my 30 days as a gluten and nut free vegan, and honestly am thinking about really becoming a vegetarian, but probably not a vegan. I know you can do it! I will pray for your strength to finish it and that you will enjoy this journey. I love you, Mouse.
Dena said…
BTW, I love that you changed your heading picture to veggies...cute.
theajthomas said…
Being a veg isn't hard - I did it for a couple years. I'm sure you won't find it hard. Don't worry about the protein thing either, it's blown way out of proportion. I never did anything to try to replace the protein lost though not having meat and I didn't exactly waste away to nothing.

DO plan your meals though, not so much for nutrient value (although it is a good plan) but to avoid boredom. Being a veg takes way more creativity than being a carnivore. You will find a few veg meals that are quick, easy, and delicious and before long that will be all you eat if you aren't careful.
Jecca said…
let me know if you come across any recipes you love that could be made vegan. i really would like to do at the very least a two-week meal plan, but i'm not disciplined enough to search for good recipes...aj is right, you have to change it up. veg cooking is very easy sometimes and i definitely tend to make the same thing at least once a week, which doesn't make life very exciting.