Conversations with Kids

On Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays I try to take my break at or close to 2pm so that I can meet my friend during her break. She works at the bank (and her break isn't always at the same time). When I time it right we walk to Tims, have tea, chat, and walk back before her 15 minutes are up. Successful encounters are the highlight of my day.

Today was one of those days that the timing worked out. As we were about to leave the bank a mom and her daughter connected with my church came in. The little girl, almost three years old, ran over to me yelling “Pat-tor LIZZ, Pat-or LIZZ!” I got down on one knee so we were at eye level, after a greeting this was the conversation:

Girl: “Pat-or LIZZ, do you work at the church?”
Me: “Yes, I do.”
Girl: “Were you at the church today?”
Me: “Yes, I was and am going back soon.”

Then with the cutest expression with her little fists curled right under her chin and eyes opened extra wide she asked, “Pas-or LIZZ, do you live at the church?”

I smiled and said "No" but on the inside I laughed because some people think I do, like family and friends who call the church before trying to reach me at home and actually reach me (even at strange non-office hours).

Comments