Knitting Woes:


A friend has commissioned me make these "Felt Clogs." It is suppose to be fast easy. I like the pattern but it's been a slow beginning. After four starts I just finished the first seven rows. And now I'm confused. This is my cry for any knitters help. I've been working back and forth and now it's suppose to go to round. So how I can turn at the end of the first row? I don't get it.

Row 7: Knit. This completes the sole.
Begin Upper Part of Clogs: Change to upper color for 2-color clogs. Knit 1 row and mark as right side (RS). Do not turn.
Join Into the Round: Bring the beginning of the last row up onto the point of left needle, place a marker on needle and knit one compete round, joining work at heel in the process.
Toe and Instep Shaping:
Row 1: k42,m1,k1 (center toe st), m1,k1,turn.
Row 2: Slip 1, p4, turn

Comments

steph w said…
I don't knit a lot, but my understanding is this:
Where it says 'Begin upper part of clogs' is actually row one. 'Join into the round' is row two.
Rows 1 and 2 are actually 3 and 4. I think they just called them 1 and 2 because it's where you start to shape the toe.
I hope that makes sense.
Elizabeth said…
Thanks Steph, it does except for the "turn" at the end of row 1 and 2. That's what I don't understand...how do you turn if you're kniting in the round?
Unknown said…
I haven't done this on the round before but wouldn't it be the same where you switch directions. like flip the project so the right needle is in the left hand and the left need is in the right hand.
steph w said…
Sorry, I didn't quite understand the question at first. I asked my mom her opinion, and agree with Glo. I think you're actually supposed to turn it.
Once you've finished Row 1, turn it like you would if you were knitting with two needles, and you've just finished a row. Row 2 has you working on the 'wrong side' and at the end of Row 2, you turn around again, and continue working in the round from there.